This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vivobook Pro 14" Oled flickering or PWM

elice82
Star II

November 2021 brought a Vivobook 14" pro oled i5 K3400 in closed box.
I installed Linux on it, worked flawless.

I was restless behind the laptop. I developed headace and getting naucia sitting behind it.
Didn't know what it was. After 1 year of searching I think it is PWM. 
Setting the brightness on 100% isn't possible... too bright.

Contacting the local store Levix and Asus support resulting in it is my problem not theirs.
Searching online, resulting in more problems with the display.

You put something in the market but you're not responseble for it.

I'm stuck with this laptop that I can't use because I get sick from it.
And selling it now for 40% of it lost of it cost.

I'm very dissaponted at the local store and Asus.

I guess there won't be a next time... And my advice to people won't be Asus.
A disappointed customer.

Does somebody have an idea how to solve it?

23 REPLIES 23

@Falcon_ASUS  

Will these videos work?

Video 1  (Brightness 60%
OLED Flicker Free Dimming to 80%)

Video 2  (Brightness 40%
OLED Flicker Free Dimming to 100%)

I can record more videos if these don't suit you!!!

@D_IMAN 
This is a normal phenomenon of the panel with OLED panel technology and it’s not a quality problem. End-users can be assured to use it or increase the brightness slightly to avoid it. 
ASUS OLED all have passed TÜV Rheinlan Certified, and you can refer to below FAQ.[Notebook] TÜV Rheinlan Certified Introduction | Official Support | ASUS Global 

When the brightness of OLED panel is lower than 54%, there will be a pop-up window at the bottom-right to remind users that it is suggested to take a break if your eyes are strained.

If you still need to use it under the low brightness condition, we suggest you can do the following operation settings.

1: Enable HDR under the AC mode
AC mode: Setting → System → Display→ Turn Use HDR on

2: Turn on the HDR mode under the DC mode
DC Mode: Setting→System→Display→Battery options→ Select Optimize for image quality
*Turn on the HDR mode may consume more power, depending on different scenarios.

3:Open MyASUS to select OLED Flicker-Free Dimming*The features only supports devices equipped with OLED panel and MyASUS version 3.1.3.0 or above

To reduce this effect, when you adjust the brightness, please use OLED Flicker-Free DC Dimming to drag and adjust the panel brightness.

*It doesn’t support Windows HDR mode and it can be performed only when the system brightness is higher than 60%.

*Please make sure the system brightness ( by Windows setting ) is higher than 60% and then adjust OLED Flicker-Free Dimming to reduce the effect.

*When this function enabled, the performed quality could be affected a little bit. It’s normal and doesn’t affect the use. 

You haven't watched the first video!

There brightness is 60% and OLED Flicker Free Dimming to 80%

And there is PWM!

And in HDR mode, the picture is exactly the same as in the first video, and PWM is also present!

And once again, after I could not use the laptop at 40% brightness due to PWM, I unscrewed the brightness by 60%, and OLED Flicker Free Dimming to 80%

And even at such settings, PWM was present!

And if your displays have passed the tests and are safe, then why do my eyes and head bother me when using them, even with your recommended display settings?

So this can only be done in Windows.  I ask in the store if could install Linux. Absolutely! It was a lie... Then that popup warning in Windows... There should have been a warning on box. "Use of oled in dimming mode can strain the eyes". Please check if you are able to use this laptop.

I think this should have been communicated with me before I bought it. This is huge problem for because I can't use laptop anymore. I cannot use it in the way I have brought it for.

The problem turned out to be software!
Or rather, the matter is in ASUS System Control Interface v3

A couple of days ago this component was updated to version V3.1.12.0
and PWM is almost gone!

At the moment I can use a laptop and have no problems with my eyes / head!