This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus VivoBook 15 X510UA/F510UA

boilerup73
Star II

I presently have an Asus VivoBook 15 X510UA/F510UA purchased back in 2018. Once purchased, I soon updated the hard drive with a WD SATA drive and also added 8 GB more memory. Fast forward to February 2023 and I have since ordered a new keyboard frame to replace the original one to address the worn finish in part contiguous to the touchpad attributed to using a wireless mouse resting on the keyboard frame. Since I need to virtually disassemble and remove the majority of components from the inside of the laptop to replace the keyboard frame, why not replace my non-backlit keyboard with a backlit keyboard at the same time. However, b4 ordering a backlit keyboard for my Asus VivoBook, I need to verify if my Asus VivoBook 15 X510UA/F510UA will support a backlit keyboard in which event I have since learned that the backlit keyboard requires a backlit cable connector. Hence I need to know if my Asus VivoBook will support a backlit keyboard and if the backlit cable connector is separate or integral to an onboard cable connector already provided. Thank you ahead of time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In response to Falcon_Asus, the answer you provided is incorrect based on the following: To begin, b4 I even posted my question, I had already corresponded with an Asus support representative by phone who assured me based on the model and serial number I provided, my Asus Vivobook 15 F510UA/X510UA should be able to support a backlit keyboard. I also found an online vendor selling a backlit keyboard advertised for my specific Asus Vivobook 15 model number who provided the same answer as the Asus customer service support rep. However, he also emphasized that for my Asus Vivobook to be able to support the backlit keyboard, it should have a US as opposed to a UK-style keyboard 'Enter' key to fit the keyboard frame (which makes total sense in comparing the shape of these two 'Enter' keys) including an onboard cable connector to support the backlit keyboard. As I have been building, updating, repairing, and refurbishing desktop/laptop computers since the 90s, I was able to easily verify the 'Enter' key requirement (a no-brainer) as well as the onboard cable connector given images the vendor provided once I removed the bottom cover of my Vivobook. Needless to say, I have since ordered the backlit keyboard to replace my current Asus Vivobook non-backlit one. Once received and installed, I intend to revisit the Asus zen talk community to let anyone who may be interested in knowing the end result. Lesson learned I would suggest that anyone answering questions posted on the forum take some time to verify their resources b4 providing answers that are incorrect. Last but not least, I am curious to know if the forum awards a star or stars to those who provide correct as opposed to incorrect answers and hopefully awards no stars or demerits to those that don't. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Falcon_ASUS

@boilerup73 
Your laptop's keyboard does not support backlit.

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

In response to Falcon_Asus, the answer you provided is incorrect based on the following: To begin, b4 I even posted my question, I had already corresponded with an Asus support representative by phone who assured me based on the model and serial number I provided, my Asus Vivobook 15 F510UA/X510UA should be able to support a backlit keyboard. I also found an online vendor selling a backlit keyboard advertised for my specific Asus Vivobook 15 model number who provided the same answer as the Asus customer service support rep. However, he also emphasized that for my Asus Vivobook to be able to support the backlit keyboard, it should have a US as opposed to a UK-style keyboard 'Enter' key to fit the keyboard frame (which makes total sense in comparing the shape of these two 'Enter' keys) including an onboard cable connector to support the backlit keyboard. As I have been building, updating, repairing, and refurbishing desktop/laptop computers since the 90s, I was able to easily verify the 'Enter' key requirement (a no-brainer) as well as the onboard cable connector given images the vendor provided once I removed the bottom cover of my Vivobook. Needless to say, I have since ordered the backlit keyboard to replace my current Asus Vivobook non-backlit one. Once received and installed, I intend to revisit the Asus zen talk community to let anyone who may be interested in knowing the end result. Lesson learned I would suggest that anyone answering questions posted on the forum take some time to verify their resources b4 providing answers that are incorrect. Last but not least, I am curious to know if the forum awards a star or stars to those who provide correct as opposed to incorrect answers and hopefully awards no stars or demerits to those that don't. 

ZenBot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.