System: Zenbook S 13
Battery or AC: Irrelevant
Model: UM5302
Frequency of occurrence: Irrelevant
Reset OS: Irrelevant
Screenshot or video: N/A
========================
Detailed description:

After watching so many review videos about the rumored USB4 function, I pulled the trigger on UM5302. As stated in those videos, this device needs a beta BIOS to support USB4. As I unboxed the new device and installed both latest Windows driver from AMD and tried the latest Linux kernel (5.19), I was still not able to get USB4 to work on this device. I then looked up further and realized ASUS has officially ceased support of USB4 on this device as seen here: asus website support article 1131.

I wonder if I can get a copy of the said beta BIOS, knowing that it might cause more harm than good, and be willing to take certain responsibilities? In where I live, returning an unboxed and activated unit is difficult, thus I prefer not to go through the lengthy process and just keep the device, but I absolutely need USB4 as my workflow depends on 10GbE, and there's no way I can get my jobs done without USB4.

Best Regards,

B.G.
26 REPLIES 26

jaguar717
Star II
FongPoui

@jaguar717

Should Asus get it back?

View post
I send Falcon the info he ask: where Asus box, marketing, and reviewer guide advertise "USB4 Ready" and how to demonstrate "functionality coming to market".
I do not know which region he is in but await reply since it is clear this works with correct bios. My return window has several weeks left.

Falcon_ASUS
jaguar717

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/223911#Comment_223911

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/231229#Comment_231229

The USB4 functionality was not from third-party modifications, it was provided by Asus both in the consumer product materials (I can take a picture if needed), and in the information Asus sent to reviewers along with a working BIOS.

In case image does not display: "USB4 Ready: The Asus Zenbook S 13 OLED is a USB4-ready system. Should you wish to evaluate this feature, a downloadable beta BIOS that enables both USB4 and Thunderbolt connectivity is available to you...as a preview of the USB4 functionality coming to the market as a user update".

Given that whatever restriction Asus placed on Zenbook USB4 features also breaks backward compatibility with USB3 docks, it is reasonable to request a working BIOS rather than just "sorry for the inconvenience". Or please let us know if we should return our new laptops.

image.png

View post
@jaguar717
This website is not the official website of ASUS, I will report this to the relevant units for understanding.
Regarding the part of the outer box, the announcement is as follows.

Zenbook S 13 OLED (UM5302) Outer Box Label Correction Notice
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

jaguar717
Star II
Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/231748#Comment_231748

@jaguar717

This website is not the official website of ASUS, I will report this to the relevant units for understanding.

Regarding the part of the outer box, the announcement is as follows.

https://www.asus.com/support/Article/1131

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

View post
Falcon, this is incorrect and dishonest to keep repeating, after multiple user show you otherwise. The packaging and product materials are directly from Asus, as is the information Asus provided to reviewers with instruction on how to market functions that have now been disabled.
Removing modern functions that were shown to work and advertised by Asus is not an "inconvenience", it makes our expensive new laptops obsolete and breaks our docks. Please escalate to someone at Asus who can answer whether functionality will be restored, so that we can decide whether to return, and reviewers can update their opinions.

FongPoui
Rising Star II
@jaguar717 
I do agree with you. I bought an expensive zenbook duo 14 pro i7 withI 12th Gen Intel technology because I thought I would get an excellent laptop that could answer to my need for content productions. That's why I am seeking for external nvme portable drives with high performace. But I got a usb port 3.2 gen 2(x1) port instead of the lastest one (gen 2x2). I see that Asus is very tricky to give an unclear information in technical specifications (usb 3.2 gen 1/usb 3.2 gen 2) instead of giving sincere informations. Another example is about storage information. Asus should give a clear information for each model the maximum storage in order to let the users to make a good decision.

daluosi
Star I
img-20221013-235019.jpg
My zenbook s13 is marked with 2 USB4 ports on the packaging, so can I request a return? I bought it on July.