System: Zenbook S 13
Battery or AC: Irrelevant
Model: UM5302
Frequency of occurrence: Irrelevant
Reset OS: Irrelevant
Screenshot or video: N/A
========================
Detailed description:

After watching so many review videos about the rumored USB4 function, I pulled the trigger on UM5302. As stated in those videos, this device needs a beta BIOS to support USB4. As I unboxed the new device and installed both latest Windows driver from AMD and tried the latest Linux kernel (5.19), I was still not able to get USB4 to work on this device. I then looked up further and realized ASUS has officially ceased support of USB4 on this device as seen here: asus website support article 1131.

I wonder if I can get a copy of the said beta BIOS, knowing that it might cause more harm than good, and be willing to take certain responsibilities? In where I live, returning an unboxed and activated unit is difficult, thus I prefer not to go through the lengthy process and just keep the device, but I absolutely need USB4 as my workflow depends on 10GbE, and there's no way I can get my jobs done without USB4.

Best Regards,

B.G.
26 REPLIES 26

Falcon_ASUS
Blueskull
  1. System: Zenbook S 13
  2. Battery or AC: Irrelevant
  3. Model: UM5302
  4. Frequency of occurrence: Irrelevant
  5. Reset OS: Irrelevant
  6. Screenshot or video: N/A

========================

Detailed description:

After watching so many review videos about the rumored USB4 function, I pulled the trigger on UM5302. As stated in those videos, this device needs a beta BIOS to support USB4. As I unboxed the new device and installed both latest Windows driver from AMD and tried the latest Linux kernel (5.19), I was still not able to get USB4 to work on this device. I then looked up further and realized ASUS has officially ceased support of USB4 on this device as seen here: asus website support article 1131.

I wonder if I can get a copy of the said beta BIOS, knowing that it might cause more harm than good, and be willing to take certain responsibilities? In where I live, returning an unboxed and activated unit is difficult, thus I prefer not to go through the lengthy process and just keep the device, but I absolutely need USB4 as my workflow depends on 10GbE, and there's no way I can get my jobs done without USB4.

Best Regards,

B.G.

Zenbook S 13 OLED BIOS request
@Blueskull
As far as I understand, it doesn't support USB4.
The following is the specification information I saw from the HK ASUS website.
https://www.asus.com/hk/Laptops/For-Home/Zenbook/Zenbook-S-13-OLED-UM5302-AMD-Ryzen-6000-series/tech...
image.png

Could you please tell me which video you saw that says it supports USB 4?

Blueskull
Star III
It all started here (YT video ID LCgC0WZp_X0).

Then a ton of content creators citing this video and stating that this device supports USB4. Examples include Hardware Canucks, KitGuru, and more.

Regards,

B.G.

Falcon_ASUS
Blueskull

It all started here (YT video ID LCgC0WZp_X0).

Then a ton of content creators citing this video and stating that this device supports USB4. Examples include Hardware Canucks, KitGuru, and more.

Regards,

B.G.

View post
@Blueskull
As this video is not provided by ASUS, we may not be able to assure you that its content is correct.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

paulito
Star I
Many of us are in the same boat: we bought the Asus Zenbook S 13 OLED (UM5302TA) because there were clear claims (followed by a video of the laptop itself using USB4 devices, see PCWorld on YT) of USB 4 support with this specific model, in addition of clear mentions of it in resellers listings as well as box labels.
We really need Asus to step up and push out the updates everyone is waiting for, at least with models for which Asus clearly mentioned USB4 compatibility.