Battery or AC: Battery
Model: UX482EA
Frequency of occurrence:
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:

Hi there,
I've recently purchased the UX482 Zenbook Duo. I've connected two external hard drives on the Thunderbolt 4 ports (with USB-A to USB-C adaptors from Amazon Basics). The two HDDs working fine.

Then I shut down the computer eg. for a break. After booting up the PC only one of the two HDDs will be recognized. You need then to plug it out and again in so that it will work again. I also switched the drives but seems that this is no problem of the HDDs.

I have a Dell laptop (Windows 10) from my work with two Thunderbold ports and same software version and tried the same but everything works well.
I've did all updates also through the MyAsus app, checked the properties... everything is OK!

I am also working with those Amazon Basics USB-A to UBS-C adaptors with a mac book pro and never had any issues.

If I use two USB-Sticks instead of the two HDDs there is no issue.

Please help.
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

Falcon_ASUS
Gio Tee

@Falcon_ASUS

today I've received an Aukey USB-C-Hub. On this Hub I've connected the Logitech Keyboard and Mouse and an external LG Blu Ray Drive.

I've connected this HUB on the left TB port. On the right I've connected a Xiaomi Gaming Monitor with an Amazon basics USB-C to HDMI-Adapter.

Worked fine without having the laptop or USB-C on the power supply.

I've changed the TB Ports - and still everything works fine.

The only thing on both configurations is that I will receive a Windows message that a USB device I've connected recently is not working. In the device manager I see under USB-Controler:

unknow USB device (error while reseting the port - sorry if this is not the correct expression but I've translated this from German). Everything which is connected on the USB-Hub is working without any problem. I've tried to install a new driver for this device but there is no driver available. I've unistalled this device but after the next boot up this will be installed again.

Charging on both ports is working without any problem.

View post
@Gio Tee
Relevant department need to confirm the following with you.
Does the HDD Cable use USB-A to USB Type-C?
Or is there a transfer via Type-C HUB?
Because the connection distance will be long and the signal will be weakened.
Thank you.

Gio_Tee
Star II
@Falcon_ASUS Hi,

yes as mentioned on the beginning of my thread the hdd is connected to a USB-A to USB-C adapter. Cables from HDD plus adapter are not even 20 cm.
The signal is perfect. The problem is that the right USB-C port has a problem to recognize any device after booting up and shows also false information in Bios (one device is connected but shows like two connected).
The whole problem did not exist in the first week when I've purchased the computer.
If already contacted the german service because it is very urgent to clearify this and they told me it seems to be a defect on this port and should sent the PC to ASUS repair center.

Falcon_ASUS
Gio Tee

@Falcon_ASUS Hi,

yes as mentioned on the beginning of my thread the hdd is connected to a USB-A to USB-C adapter. Cables from HDD plus adapter are not even 20 cm.

The signal is perfect. The problem is that the right USB-C port has a problem to recognize any device after booting up and shows also false information in Bios (one device is connected but shows like two connected).

The whole problem did not exist in the first week when I've purchased the computer.

If already contacted the german service because it is very urgent to clearify this and they told me it seems to be a defect on this port and should sent the PC to ASUS repair center.

View post
@Gio Tee
If it can be used normally at the beginning, but it cannot be used at present, as suggested by the local service center, we may also recommend that you send it in for repair. Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Gio_Tee
Star II
Hi all,
I've entered a RMA and sent the laptop to the ASUS repair service Germany the same day.
1,5 weeks later the laptop arrived. They've replaced the motherboard and everything works fine!
2 external WD HDDs connected via USB to USB-C adaptor. After turning the PC off and on both HDDs will be recognized by the system

BR

Falcon_ASUS
Gio Tee

Hi all,

I've entered a RMA and sent the laptop to the ASUS repair service Germany the same day.

1,5 weeks later the laptop arrived. They've replaced the motherboard and everything works fine!

2 external WD HDDs connected via USB to USB-C adaptor. After turning the PC off and on both HDDs will be recognized by the system

BR

View post
@Gio Tee
Thank you for the update.