cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Driver issue when EGPU is used

potatosubwoofer
Rising Star II
System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: Plugged in and then unplugged (read below)
Model: UX482EG with MX450 and Razer Core X Chroma with MSI GTX1070
Frequency of occurrence: When unplugged from EGPU
========================
Detailed description:
I get a driver error when I transition from my EGPU to my discrete GPU inside the laptop.
This error shows up in Device Manager, that the onboard MX450 is disabled. I also cannot see the MX450 in Task Manager even though the device is recognised in Device Manager.
I have noticed that one of the consequences of this driver fault is that the laptop idles at around 20-22 W which discharges the battery in about 3 hours, instead of the usual expected 8 hours when everything is running normally.
The current workaround for this is to use the GeForce Experience program to reinstall the Graphics Drivers, but obviously this is not an acceptable solution for a consistent driver fault. It also requires a restart which is not how a portable ultrabook should work.
Does anyone at ASUS have a driver fix for this problem specific to this device?
13 REPLIES 13

Falcon_ASUS
potatosubwoofer
  1. System: Windows 10
  2. Battery or AC: Plugged in and then unplugged (read below)
  3. Model: UX482EG with MX450 and Razer Core X Chroma with MSI GTX1070
  4. Frequency of occurrence: When unplugged from EGPU

========================

Detailed description:

I get a driver error when I transition from my EGPU to my discrete GPU inside the laptop.

This error shows up in Device Manager, that the onboard MX450 is disabled. I also cannot see the MX450 in Task Manager even though the device is recognised in Device Manager.

I have noticed that one of the consequences of this driver fault is that the laptop idles at around 20-22 W which discharges the battery in about 3 hours, instead of the usual expected 8 hours when everything is running normally.

The current workaround for this is to use the GeForce Experience program to reinstall the Graphics Drivers, but obviously this is not an acceptable solution for a consistent driver fault. It also requires a restart which is not how a portable ultrabook should work.

Does anyone at ASUS have a driver fix for this problem specific to this device?

Graphics Driver issue when EGPU is used
@potatosubwoofer
Have you updated your current BIOS and system versions to the latest?
If yes, what is the BIOS and system version you are currently using?
Please also provide the current graphics card driver version and screenshots for us to confirm.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

potatosubwoofer
Rising Star II
I am on Bios 314. Screenshots of graphics driver versions below. I am not at my EGPU at the moment so I do not have the details of the driver version for that card.
image.png
image.png

Falcon_ASUS
potatosubwoofer

I am on Bios 314. Screenshots of graphics driver versions below. I am not at my EGPU at the moment so I do not have the details of the driver version for that card.

image.png

image.png

View post
@potatosubwoofer
I may still need your assistance to provide the following information to submit to our tech team for confirmation.
"This error shows up in Device Manager" >>Could you please provide me with a screenshot?
The brand and model of the EGPU you are using.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

potatosubwoofer
Rising Star II
image.png
image.png
image.png
Thanks @Falcon_ASUS, here is the error information as reported by Device Manager (Code 31)
image.png
Here is the idle power consumption caused by the MX450 not being recognised correctly (by the driver, I presume).

Also the brand/model of the EGPU is Razer/Core X Chroma with an MSI GTX1070 installed. No errors when GPU is plugged in.