This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 - - camera application not working (new details)

johndalicandro
Star II

Ok..   so I've written before on my zenfone 8 camera not working, and now I've got some interesting data points.

I've downloaded Google camera - what's interesting is google camera launches, but it seems like the "bottom" camera (12MP) works, but the "top" camera (64MP) doesn't.   What I mean by works or doesn't is that google camera let's me select which lens I'm using - so if I use the 12MP everything works, but if I select the 64MP lens - nothing works.

Regarding the native Asus camera app - I guess something in the software doesn't like that the 64MP isn't working and so - you basically see a "black-screen".   However, if you push around where the various camera modes are - you'll eventually find that PANO mode.   What happens is the display now works - - why because by default the PANO mode using the 12MP lens.

While in PANO - I can turn on all the other modes available on the Zenfone 8.   This enables Pro Video, Pro photo, etc.

OK.. here's where things get weird...

There are 2 modes that directly work when going into them:
 - PANO - this always seems to work as PANO defaults to using the 12MP lens
 - VIDEO - this "works" as long as hyper-steady is "on"

What I'm able to do is:
 - go into PANO - which works because it's on the 12MP lens.  
 - while in PANO - I can select the 64MP lens (which now locks up the camera display)
 - select PRO Photo - now works on the 64MP lens...
 - while in PRO Photo - I can select the 12MP lens and it works
 - while in PRO Photo - if I attempt to re-select the 64MP lens - it no longer works (the camera display now locks up)

NOTE: while the camera display is locked up, the camera mode selector works and the tilt sensor work regardless of the camera display being locked up.

However, I can go back to PANO mode, which works on entry because it defaults to the 12MP lens, and I can do this without problem.

What this tells me is that there's something in the software stopping the 64MP lens from working.

Why - because why would the "hardware" ONLY work on Pro Photo, when it comes from having previously been in PANO mode - with the 64MP selected.

I'm looking for someone at Asus who's interested in trying to solve this problem.

My phone is a Zenphone 8 - my system is updated to Android 13:

Software information is:
 - M3.13.24.85-Sake_000110 (Baseband version)
 - 5.4.210.qgki-perf-g5bebe76057da (kernel version - #1 wed Aug 2 00:30:07 CST 2023)
 - 1.1.26 (extension ROM)
 - TKQ1.220807.001.33.0210.0210.314 release-keys (Build Number)

Best Regards
John D'Alicandro

5 REPLIES 5

keren_ASUS

Hello johndalicandro,

For anyone experiencing this same issue, it is recommended that you visit your nearest authorized service center. 

https://www.asus.com/us/support/service-center/usa/