This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Zenfone 8: don't buy it! Horrible battery performance, horrible Asus service.

leoncarrera
Rising Star I

Bought this phone end of July. Straight from the box extreme poor battery performance. Drained from only looking at it, not even using it, running hot. Spend way to much time to all the battery saving settings, charging limits, updates, roll backs, factory resets, safe mode sessions etcetera. It's just not right when battery life of your 'flagship' phone becomes like an obcession to get it through a day. Battery performance doesn't even come close to my ancient OnePlus2 from 2015, which I now use again, since the Asus just can't be used for half a day without charging.  Overnight is ultra durable mode it still drains 30%-50%. 

Send it for repair to Asus, but like with many others here on Zentalk, I received the phone unrepaired. They performed their Asus test and the result were fine according to their benchmark. 'Problem can't be duplicated'. Could send it in again according to Asus, but to their won warning with a good change the phone would come back again untouched, unrepaired. What kind of service is that?

This whole Asus experience is one big dissapointment. They obviously know about many of their Zenfones perform badly battery wise. And still the dare to say that half a day to a day it good enough and the phone is in good conditions. No it is not. It's a faulty product with a dissapoining service. When you back your products you make sure they perform like the specs you sold them with. When you can't figure out the problem, you send a new phone. Service isn't that hard, keeping customers happy neither. But at Asus this is just not the case. Never an Asus product in my life again.

17 REPLIES 17

Falcon_ASUS

@leoncarrera 
I apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Upon checking the repair records, the service center was unable to replicate the reported issue of battery drain. If you have already retrieved your phone, could you please provide details of the battery drain situation (preferably with screenshots)? Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Yes when i go to battery,there can see which app have used (and how Many % used). There on DOWN IS text "other" and that is over 30% so what that is?. Chrome IS biggest battery Eater because i use IT to search internet. Over 40% on 5h30min but that OTHER IS over 30% and cannot see what that is?  That photo you can see that full BATTERY doesnt cant use Even 6hours. 

Hello Falcon,

Please see my reply at Keren_asus on 12/12/2023. I hope your reply does not imply that the case is still not addressed.

The phone came indeed back from repair in the exact same unusable state. They probably were able to replicate that a half of a day battery life is good enough for a two year old  phone.  Secondly that a high end phone like the ZF8 uses more battery than e budget phone.  Third that batteries degrade over time and it has been sitting in a box for over two years. This is litterally what I was told from Asus support as proper explanation for the non-repair.

To me the phone is three months old. That's how long I have it at since I bought it at the new price. Not at the price of a two year old heavily used second hand phone. Hence the full warranty. For this I may expect alike specifications. This all apart from the the fact that it is quite rude from a customer perspective to have Asus support wipe my request for technical support off the table with arguments like these. Even then, running out of battery within half a day while just looking at your phone isn't even okay for a 2015 phone like my backup OnePlus2, which still perfoms better than the ZF8 fresh from the box. So this Zenfone is just faulty. Otherwise every ZF8 user would have go around with a charger in their pockets. 

Please take care of this ZF8 problem of mine. Clearly something is wrong and it is not up to me to figure out what. That's what warranty is supposed to be for. 

@leoncarrera 
Indeed, as we provide warranty services, we will do our best to assist you in troubleshooting the encountered issues. However, based on the information currently available to us, we have not observed any power-related issues with your device. Therefore, if your phone is with you, kindly assist by providing screenshots of the battery usage. With this information, we can request further confirmation from the service team at your location for a more thorough assessment of the repair content. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Hello Falcon. I don't know what to make more clear that this is a passed station to me. Screen shots, details of the drain. I explained everything already multiple times. Even before the phone had been send for repair.  Draining and heating up. Constantly, in every mode, unusable phone, clearly something wrong with it.  The fact that the service center was not able to replicate the reported issue doesn't say the issue isn't there. They just didn't noticed it, did not try hard or long enough, did a false benchmark test, whatever. Replicated or not, once in my hands it drains and runs hot. And then I've done not even a thing. 

You can't keep coming back with requests for screenshots or other details when it happend, when not. I've requested a second RMA and the phone will be picked up again. Unfortunately with destination to the same repair shop in Poland. Especially with the expectation of Asus support itself that the outcome will probably be the same. Indeed why do the same and expect a different result? So I'll hope Asus support can get repair to do a bit more effort than last time. Otherwise repair can keep the Zenfone in Poland and spare the flight back home. I can't do anything else with it then then throw it with the trash. It speaks for itself that will then also be my last Asus experience. 

We'll see. Let repair get another chance.