This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenbook S16 UM5606WA runs too hot while plugged in, and keyboard question

jedy617
Star I

So I got my Zenbook S16 UM5606WA about a week ago and I love it, but it just runs too hot while plugged in. Doing the same tasks I do while on battery, make the zenbook way too uncomfortable to use on my lap, and of course it is a laptop so then what is the point.

The heat is coming from the bottom vents. I made sure that while plugged in, and on battery that the laptop is in balanced mode. Fans work fine. Is there anything I can do? Everything is updated. I am not doing anything intense, watching youtube with some chrome tabs open. Even the CPU temps aren't anything too crazy, usually mid 60's, but the heat that come out of the vents is insane!

Also, why can't I set the the keyboard backlight to dim automatically after some time? I want to use it at night, but when I am watching a video or something, the keyboard should dim after awhile! This worked fine on my vivobook, why not here??

Besides that, and a little mushy keyboard, I love the laptop. Wonder if these 2 things can be fixed.

2 REPLIES 2

Falcon_ASUS

@jedy617 
The heat generated during the operation of a laptop needs to be dissipated through the laptop itself, its mechanism, and fans.
I would suggest you refer to the following FAQs to evaluate the usage.
[Windows 11/10] Troubleshooting - Overheating and Fan issues

Regarding the use of keyboard backlight, you can also refer to the following information.
MyASUS – Device Settings
Automatic keyboard backlight * The features supported will vary by model.

Brightens or dims the automatic keyboard backlight according to the current light conditions using the built-in Ambient Light Sensor.

Auto-brighten: The keyboard backlight turns on when the light conditions change from bright to dark.

Auto-dim: The keyboard backlight turns off when the light conditions change from dark to bright.

*This function is unavailable when battery level is under 20% and the Windows battery saving mode is activated.

Hey, read that trouble shooting page. I am fairly tech literate and have had probably 20 laptops, mostly Dell and HP, and have never had a problem like this. Of course the heat needs to be dissipated, however what does not make sense is the abnormal heat generation from the bottom vents doing light tasks, and like I mentioned, this is ONLY when charging. Doing the same tasks on battery power and the laptop is as cool as can be. I would understand if I am running a demanding program, but just browsing the web, and the laptop is too hot to place on your lap? No way. 

And yeah, none of those settings in my asus are about auto dimming the keyboard after inactivity, only based on light changes unfortunately. I don't get why my cheaper vivobook had this feature, but apparently the more expensive and premium zenbook doesn't have this??