This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenbook 13 UX363 power issues

DanTheMan
Star I

Hi all. A while back my Zenbook crashed a few times and had trouble finding a boot device on restart. Leaving it to rest for a few minutes seemed to fix the problem. Today when I was using it on battery I plugged in the power cable and bang... everything went sluggish, I could switch apps and eventually the mouse froze and it rebooted. And couldn't find a boot device.

So I think there is something seriously wrong with the power or thermals on this laptop. I did some digging and this is a Kernel Power 41 error and the logs seem to coincide with every time I remember this happening. I'd say it's been on average once a month Starting 10 months ago with this two year old laptop.

Does this laptop model suffer from overheating? I like to use it lid closed with a USB hub monitor, which of course blocks both underside (no screen lifting of base) and keyboard heat dissipation. Could this be it? I'm using it open now with external screen only mode and the fan is quiet and the laptop is warm but not hot.

Any suggestions welcome!

2 REPLIES 2

Falcon_ASUS

@DanTheMan 
Using the laptop with the screen closed can indeed affect its cooling, so we do not recommend using it this way.
If your laptop still has thermal issues, we suggest taking it to a service center for further inspection.
The following is the contact information:
https://www.asus.com/support/service-center-location 

Also you can contact the local service center for help.
The following is the contact information:
https://www.asus.com/support/CallUs# 

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.

OK, it's good to know this is a known issue at least. It's a pity I can't use the neatest option then of just plugging in the USB C and using the external keyboard and mouse connect to the hub screen, but more important that I don't melt the laptop!