This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UM5606- why is Fingerprint recognition settings "currently unavailable" ?

nurbster11
Star II

Hi Forum.  I've tried to enable the driver in "Biometric Devices" of Device Manager, but see no option.  Is Windows account creation at first boot required for fingerprint sensor to work as I bypassed and did local account ?

Sven

6 REPLIES 6

Falcon_ASUS

@nurbster11 
You can adjust the settings at any time. We recommend referring to the following for guidance.
[Windows 11/10] Windows Hello (Biometrics, Facial recognition, Fingerprint scanner) Settings
But if you cannot find the option in Device Manager, it may be due to driver or hardware issues. 
We recommend referring to the following FAQ for troubleshooting steps.
[Notebook] Troubleshooting - How to fix Fingerprint recognition problem
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Thanks for the reply and links.  I just tried "Reset this PC" using the remove everything option and then thinking it may have something to do with bypassing Windows creation created said account, but no difference.  Perhaps I'll install Linux to see if this a Windows issue.  I contacted Best Buy today who said I needed to pay $40 to have this "software" issue looked at.  Riddle me this: when is a software issue a hardware issue ?

Sven

@nurbster11 
If the device still does not appear after making "Scan for hardware changes" in Device Manager, it is possible that there is a hardware malfunction.
I would suggest you bring back your laptop to our service center for further confirmation.

The following is the contact information:
https://www.asus.com/support/service-center-location 

Also you can contact the local service center for help.
The following is the contact information:
https://www.asus.com/support/CallUs# 

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.

Thanks for the follow-up.  I'll try calling local service rep although given an hour away perhaps it makes more sense to go Best Buy, pay the $40 and if a hardware problem I suspect I will be refunded the $40.  I appreciate the the links and information.

Sven