This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q425M Touchpad - right 1/2" won't tap

Rumplestilts
Star I

Brand new unit running the 155H & Arc iGPU. Everything works as intended except for this one thing:

The right-hand 1/2" of the touchpad, from top to bottom, will not register a "tap". The cursor may be controlled/moved in this area so it's not a dead spot. Asus tech support had me update the touchpad driver (16.0.0.21) but no difference. I've run the latest firmware update. MyAsus app and Windows Update both say I'm fully updated.

I suspect, because the area does work moving the cursor -and- does work with two-finder scrolling, this is not a hardware issue but, instead, some programmer neglected to alter the "allowable tapping area" on this trackpad. My guess is a RegEdit hack might fix it but I thought I'd post this here first in the hope that someone from Asus might see this and report the issue back to the proper department.

Of course, if you think you know the proper RegEdit hack, I'd do it and report back here.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Rumplestilts
I have forwarded your video to the technical team for verification. 
The technical team mentioned that the issue could be caused by a hardware assembly problem with the touchpad.
If you have recently purchased the product, we recommend contacting the retailer to inquire about the possibility of a return or exchange. 
We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Falcon_ASUS

@Rumplestilts
May I ask for the full model of the laptop you are using? 
[Windows 11/10] How to check the model name and BIOS version
What are the current BIOS version, system version, and touchpad driver version you are using?
Could you provide an instructional video for me to verify the usage condition of the touchpad?

Model & BIOS: UX3405MA.305

Touchpad driver: 16.0.0.21

Touchpad is unlocked in MyAsus app.
In Windows settings for the touchpad:
Tap with single finger to single-click. (enabled)
Tap with two fingers to right-click. (enabled)
Tap twice and drag to multi-select. (enabled)
Press lower right corner of the touchpad to right-click. (disabled)

Scroll & Zoom:
Drag two finders to scroll. (enabled)
Pinch to zoom. (enabled)

I'll note that the touchpad supports a "tap and second tap without release" to enable dragging an item. However, in the right-hand 1/2", those taps (ANY taps) are not registered.

I've attached a video file showing how the right-hand portion of the trackpad (about 1/2", but completely top-to-bottom) does not register taps but WILL recognize scrolling and cursor movement. Be sure to turn up the volume as I was speaking softly so I wouldn't disturb someone sleeping in the next room. So the hardware seems to be okay but I think the driver has the wrong touchpad dimensions for recognizing taps.

Let me know. Thanks.

Barry

PS - In all other respects, this machine is fine.

@Rumplestilts
I have forwarded your video to the technical team for verification. 
The technical team mentioned that the issue could be caused by a hardware assembly problem with the touchpad.
If you have recently purchased the product, we recommend contacting the retailer to inquire about the possibility of a return or exchange. 

Per your advice, I returned the unit to BestBuy. Unfortunately, rather than replacing it with a new one, they refunded my money. But the sale price ($250 off list) is no longer valid. Too bad. I bought an i7-1355 Acer Swift Go 14 on Amazon for $400 less. Not Asus' fault. BestBuy is an end stage company.