cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo 15 UX582 / Crashing on battery after BIOS 305 upgrade

EikroA
Star II

Hi.

Recently upgraded BIOS of my UX582 to 305. It came with Windows Update.

Although, the upgrade went smoothly and at first I didn't noticed any problem until I disconnected the power cord. Few seconds later it froze. Long story short, I reset BIOS, did a clean cloud recovery reinstalled everything, updated to latest drivers. As soon as the laptop switches to battery it freezes.

BIOS 301 didn't have any problems but EZ tool doesn't let me downgrade.

A workaround I found - is by disabling NVIDIA card before using it of battery. Tried DDU and older drivers, same thing.

Any suggestions?

Support says to send it for repair, but this laptop has already been into repair two times (in less than a year) and I just can't do that right now as I need it for work. But seriously, why can't they provide instructions on downgrade? Or maybe there is some beta bios?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@EikroA 
I have received your message, and I will forward the information to the relevant department.
We will keep you updated and your consideration will be very much appreciated.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Falcon_ASUS

@EikroA 
Could you please provide the operating system build number and graphics card driver version currently in use?
Please also provide a video of the issue occurring so that we can further comformation.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

EikroA
Star II

Thank you for helping out!

OS: OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621 Build 22621
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. UX582ZW.305, 2/13/2023

Name NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Laptop GPU
Driver Version 31.0.15.1748
(517.48-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql)

However, the latest 531.79 was installed when issue occurred.

I was able to find the workaround and narrowing down the problem to the NVIDIA after extensive testing.
So it happens as follows:
0. An application that uses NVIDIA card must be running. It's not required to be in foreground. Can be a minimized browser.
1. Unplugging AC adapter from the laptop.
2. First few seconds it continues normally.
3. Stuttering begins (even mouse is slow to respond)
4. FAN speed spikes to full speed blowing cold air.
5. Screen either freezes completely or goes blank.
6. It ends with BSOD or sometimes it recovers but continues stuttering.
7. An event may be logged:
"The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video5
Reset TDR occurred on GPUID:100"

If did not ended with BSOD a recovery can be performed by plugging back the AC adapter and doing reboot. This will not reset FAN speed.
Full power down required to reset the FAN speeds to normal mode.
Usually not possible as the system freezes completely, hard power down (holding the power button) is required.

I did not extensively tested system stability while on AC power with NVIDIA enabled.
Workaround: disabling NVIDIA card in Device manager allows normal operations from battery and AC.

As I said, the problem appeared right after BIOS 305 was installed.

@EikroA 
Thank you for the information update.
In order for us to understand the process and method that triggered this issue, we kindly request that you provide a video of the problem occurring for further verification.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.

Thank you! I do appreciate you help.

If needed, I provide any other information or do more tests, just let me know.