This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vivobook pro 16 OLED display had black crush at 120hz and this even severe with Dgpu mode

Vadanaravinda
Star I

Unlike with HDR setting, in SDR the display had black crush at 120hz in hybrid mode and even in Discrete GPU mode it's severe with both 60hz and 120hz.

IMG_20240606_140748.jpgIMG_20240606_141004.jpg

Below 👇 images shows that after enabling the HDR setting on, in HDR the display had no Black crush at both hybrid mode : 120hz and Dgpu mode's 60hz & 120hz. 

In HDR there is no sign of black crush unlike in SDR modeIn HDR there is no sign of black crush unlike in SDR mode

The below 👇 posted original image is used for testing by setting it as wallpaper:

Black level checker.png

Many who owned this same Vivobook pro 16 OLED model depicting that they too had this issue in these :

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/s/LgOVfpWdJz

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/s/6oYn5KYMrf

I've compared other Zenbooks, vivobooks OLEDs and those didn't had this crushed blacks issue in SDR, even once I compared my laptop (K6602vu) which holds 16 inch, 3.2k resolution to that of similar laptop having exact same specifications that is (K6502vu) with 15 inch screen having 2.8k resolution, and it doesn't had black crush in SDR in any of the settings like it might be 120hz or after changing to DGPU mode.

Apart from Black crush I've noticed that the display had a slight noticeable warmer white balance which is not the case with other vivobook and zenbook OLEDs that I've seen as they all looked exact same in white balance. 

(Those other displays had various aspect ratios or sizes but they all had same White Balance when I compared miy laptop with them which showing a slight warmer white balance and this infers there is an inaccuracy and inconsistencies with the Whites it's producing.)

After giving the laptop for ASUS service regarding the Display Black crush issue in SDR , after testing they ridiculously said that I had to use the display while turning on the HDR as it didn't had black crush.

HDR setting had a purpose as it is to be used with HDR content only, if used upon normal default SDR content like SDR movies, games etc it would make them pale, dull and inaccurate in brightness & colours as they don't had HDR metadata.

I even seen these crushed blacks at 120hz on latest Vivobook S16 OLED (2024) model which had exact same display as my vivobook pro 16 OLED had that is 16 inch, 3.2k resolution display.

So, unlike other vivobook OLED display laptops why these crushed blacks in SDR with these 3.2k display models only, is it the display calibration issue or  power management defect with those 120hz & Dgpu modes of the display.

Please resolve this issue as soon as possible. 

Model: K6602VU 

Windows 11 version: 10.0.22631

Bios version: K6602VU. 310

SMBIOS Version: 3.5

(Discrete GPU 4050) Graphics Card driver version: 31.0.15.5222

Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics driver version: 31.0.101.4146

7 REPLIES 7

Falcon_ASUS

Then why these 3.2k res OLED displays only showing the difference in SDR between 60hz and 120hz by crushing blacks and it's even severe after switching to DGPU mode, while other OLED displays from vivobooks or zenbooks are accurate no matter at what settings they are viewed they just doesn't show this black crush in 120hz and with some models even after switching to DGPU mode.

@Vadanaravinda
Could you please provide the information about other models that you know can display normally again?
1. The full model name of that model
2. The BIOS version, system version (operating system build numbers), and graphics card driver version of that model
3. Pictures or videos showing how that model performs
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Model: K6502VU : Asus vivobook pro 15 OLED

Below👇 the laptop model on right side is K6502VU  and it's showing no black crush in DGPU mode in 60hz at first row squares compared to my laptop(K6602VU)on left side which exhibiting crushed blacks in first row squares in DGPU mode at 60hz. With 120hz crushed blacks would be even more severe.

Right one is K6502VU , left is mine( k6602vu)Right one is K6502VU , left is mine( k6602vu)

This K6502VU had same specs as my model and it shows no difference between 60hz and 120hz even after switching to DGPU mode.

Windows 11 version: 10.0.22631

Bios version: K6502VU.306

Graphics Card driver version: 31.0.15.2897