cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Vivobook S 14 Flip (TP3402) battery drain problem after shut down

grgczyz
Star I

Dear Asus,

I have a problem with my new Asus S 14 flip. There is battery drain after shut down - around 5% per 5 days. After month and a half battery is fully discharged and laptop is unable to switch on. I have to connect it to charger to make it possible to switch it on.

I think it is against user manual in which we can find on p.13 in "Standard battery care" section:

"If you are not using your device for a long period of time, ensure to charge the battery power to 50% then power off your device and disconnect AC power adapter. Recharge the battery power to 50% every three months to avoid over-discharging prevent damage to the battery"

I can't follow this statement because after 1,5 month my battery is fully discharge.

Dear Asus  … I have two questions:

• Is it normal or my laptop is out of order and I should send it to local Asus service?
  • Have you got any standards of accepted battery drains after shut down? If yes then what is the highest accepted battery drain level?

PS All tests in MyAsus app are positive.

Best Regards,

Greg

19 REPLIES 19

Falcon_ASUS

@grgczyz 
After multiple charging and discharging cycles, the battery will become more stable. It is recommended to repeat the charging and discharging process several times. If you have concerns about the battery's condition, it is advisable to have it inspected and repaired.
The following is the contact information: https://www.asus.com/support/service-center-location 
Also you can contact the local service center for help.
The following is the contact information: https://www.asus.com/support/CallUs# 
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.

Dear Falcon_ASUS,

I would kindly ask you to answer my two questions:

• Do you think I should send my laptop to local Asus service?
  • Have you (Asus) got any internal company standards of accepted battery drains after shut-down? If yes then what is the highest accepted battery drain level?

Thank you in advance,

Greg

grgczyz
Star I

Hello Alcon_ASUS,

First of all thank you for your answer.

I think my laptop had enogh charging/discharging cycles for battery to become stable (s.th. around 50). However I do not think that battery is the problem in my case. I did a test in which I did:

a) Charged laptop to 90%

b) Turned on battery safe mode in MyAsus app (this function does not allow to charge battery over 80%)

c) Connected laptop to charger

d) Switched off labtop using Shutdown in Windows (clean, without any apps installed)

After 24h it occured that battery charge level is still 90%. Laptop took energy from the charger during that period of time and battery did not discharge itself at all. That is why I think the problem is rather on laptop's hardware or/and software (maybe "BIOS") side.

My way of using the laptop is characterized by extended periods of non-use, and I'm afraid that during this time the battery will run down and fail soon. That is why it is a problem for me.

Dear Falcon_ASUS  … Could you answer two questions:

• Do you think I should send my laptop to local Asus service?
  • Have you (Asus) got any internal company standards of accepted battery drains after shut-down? If yes then what is the highest accepted battery drain level?

@grgczyz 
Sorry for the late reply.

This time you mentioned the charger. According to my previous understanding, it should be without connecting the AC adapter during the shutdown period.
I would like to confirm with you, is the testing you conducted this time using the same procedure as the previously reported issue?

If you are connecting to the AC adapter (with the battery indicator on the laptop lit up), at this point, the laptop's power supply will come from the AC adapter, not the battery. So if you want to check the condition of the battery itself, please remove the AC adapter.

After removing the transformer, please provide me with a screenshot of the battery usage status, as well as the current BIOS version, operating system build number, and MyASUS version you are using, in order to verify if your battery usage is normal.

Thank you.