This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus vivobook pro 16 OLED showing Crushed blacks in SDR in Discrete GPU mode

Vadanaravinda
Star I

My asus vivobook pro 16 oled having severe black crush in discrete gpu mode and also at 120hz in hybrid mode.

No tweaks from changing color profiles to resetting pc and even bios didnt worked. 

Even though laptop had given for service and the mother board and display had been replaced in the process but still the issue persists.

IMG_20240527_224800.jpg⬆ The above image had black crush in first row squares at 120hz

IMG_20240527_224843.jpg⬆ The above image had visible first row squares in the pattern at 60hz.

• Same goes with discrete gpu mode but at 120hz the black crush is a bit more aggressive. 

The link below is the representation of this balck crush in my laptop with pictures and many others who owned the same model depicting the same issue

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/s/wxC7ONDc4d 

21 REPLIES 21

Vadanaravinda
Star I

Black level checker.png

The above one is the set original wallpaper image.

SDR (standard dynamic range) is the default of the display, and I would turn on HDR only with HDR content.

Here the thing is HDR had no Black crush and it's perfect all times with both refresh rates, but SDR had image brightness inconsistencies (Black crush) between 120hz and 60hz and even between Hybrid and discrete GPU modes.

IMG_20240531_131014.jpg

The above image is taken in HDR mode at 120hz, and it had no sign of black crush or differences between 60hz and 120hz and even between Hybrid mode and discrete GPU modes.

IMG_20240531_124502.jpgIMG_20240531_124344.jpgThe above two images are from SDR and set to highest brightness and they clearly show the difference in image brightness as the "first row squares" of the "first image" got crushed and not at all clearly visible and this indicates Black Crush at 120hz and same appears after switching to Discrete GPU mode at both 60hz and 120hz.

(if the above posted captured images showing slight colour differences it's just due to camera exposure differences only)

Vadanaravinda
Star I

Apart from Black crush I've noticed that the display had a slight noticeable warmer white point (colour temperature) which is not the case with other vivobook and zenbook OLEDs that I've seen as they all looked exact same in displaying Whites.

(Those other OLED displays may had various aspect ratios or sizes but they all looked same in colour temperature, white point when I compared mine with them which shows slight warmer whites and this conveys  there is an inaccuracy and inconsistencies with the Whites this display producing, I've even changed Asus colour gamuts but still this display looked same in those too having slight warmer whites)

I had the Calibration report pics of this display and I am posting these below and these showing differences between metrics of each colour gamut.

DCIP3_K6602VU_R2N0LP02V455083_Gamma.pngDCIP3_K6602VU_R2N0LP02V455083_page1.pngDCIP3_K6602VU_R2N0LP02V455083_Page2.pngDisplayP3_K6602VU_R2N0LP02V455083_Gamma.pngDisplayP3_K6602VU_R2N0LP02V455083_page1.pngDisplayP3_K6602VU_R2N0LP02V455083_Page2.pngNative_K6602VU_R2N0LP02V455083_Gamma.pngNative_K6602VU_R2N0LP02V455083_page1.pngNative_K6602VU_R2N0LP02V455083_Page2.pngsRGB_K6602VU_R2N0LP02V455083_Gamma.pngsRGB_K6602VU_R2N0LP02V455083_page1.pngsRGB_K6602VU_R2N0LP02V455083_Page2.pngLastGammaImg_DCIP3.pngLastGammaImg_DisplayP3.pngLastGammaImg_Native.pngLastGammaImg_sRGB.png

Falcon_ASUS

@Vadanaravinda 
Due to the characteristics of OLED screens, in SDR mode, external ambient light can easily cause reflections, making it difficult to see the differences in low grayscale levels. However, these variations can still be observed in darker lighting environments. If you are concerned about poor low grayscale performance in SDR mode, we recommend enabling HDR mode. Thank you.

Vadanaravinda
Star I

There might be poor grey scale performance in SDR compared to HDR but this 3.2k resolution displays showing differences in SDR in between 60hz,120hz of hybrid and Dgpu modes.

Why these inconsistencies with only this 3.2k resolution OLED model, while other models with 2.8k, FHD, OLEDS doesn't had this at all they all look perfectly equal in all refresh rates and even after changing to DGPU mode from hybrid mode.

As you recommended to enable HDR for this, enabling HDR for default non HDR things like windows U.I, tabs, SDR content like games, movies etc everything looks pale and inaccurate, and for SDR, ASUS itself gave different colour Gamuts to choose for different uses cases in my Asus, Splendid.

Instead of solving the crushed blacks in SDR at 120hz and Dgpu mode in this model how can Asus recommend me to use HDR setting all the time for everything thing even for SDR content also. If above is your recommendation or solution then why Asus marketed this 3.2k OLED  displays as colour accurate with perfect black levels at all times if it has these terrible inconsistencies in default SDR.

Recommending to use HDR for this is just senseless.

Falcon_ASUS

@Vadanaravinda 
According to the technical team's confirmation, based on the provided images, the first row of each black color block at the top of the left K6602VU screen is not indistinguishable but the difference is not as apparent as shown on the right laptop in the picture. This might be due to the inherent differences of each panel during production, but they are within the specifications for shipment.
As previously explained to you, due to the characteristics of OLED screens, in SDR mode, ambient light can easily cause reflections, making it difficult to discern differences in low grayscale.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.