This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus vivobook pro 16 OLED showing Crushed blacks in SDR in Discrete GPU mode

Vadanaravinda
Star I

My asus vivobook pro 16 oled having severe black crush in discrete gpu mode and also at 120hz in hybrid mode.

No tweaks from changing color profiles to resetting pc and even bios didnt worked. 

Even though laptop had given for service and the mother board and display had been replaced in the process but still the issue persists.

IMG_20240527_224800.jpg⬆ The above image had black crush in first row squares at 120hz

IMG_20240527_224843.jpg⬆ The above image had visible first row squares in the pattern at 60hz.

• Same goes with discrete gpu mode but at 120hz the black crush is a bit more aggressive. 

The link below is the representation of this balck crush in my laptop with pictures and many others who owned the same model depicting the same issue

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/s/wxC7ONDc4d 

21 REPLIES 21

Black level checker.png
The above image is the set original wallpaper image.

SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) is the default of the display and I turn on and use HDR only for HDR content.

hdr.jpg
The above image is taken in HDR mode, and it has no Black crush at 120hz and even in Discrete GPU mode its accurate.

But in SDR setting, the display showing inconsistent, over contrasty looking blacks (Crushed blacks) at 120hz and also in Discrete GPU mode.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/1d4r4d0/crushed_blacks_on_vivobook_pro_16_oled_at_120hz/?utm_... 

The above posted link had video showing the black crush on this display at 120hz.

IMG_20240531_124502.jpg
The above image in 120hz shows black crush in first row squares as they are not displayed properly.

IMG_20240531_124344.jpgThe above image in 60hz shows first row squares normally and it don't have any crushed blacks unlike120hz.

(Above both images are captured at the highest display brightness, and they are showing differences in displaying the same image. )

(If the above images show slight color variations it's just due to the camera exposure)

Apart from Black crush I've noticed that the display had a slight noticeable warmer white balance which is not the case with other vivobook and zenbook OLEDs that I've seen as they all looked exact same in white balance.

(Those other displays may had various aspect ratios or sizes but they all had same White Balance when I compared mine with them which showing a slight warmer white balance.and those resembles there is an inaccuracy and inconsistencies with the Whites it's producing.)

My laptop had these Color profiles (Hybrid mode) :

1) ASUS_K6602VU_8086_834C4178_CMDEF

2) ASUS_X1503ZA_8086_834C416E_CMDEF

3) sRGB display profile with display hardware configuration data derived from calibration 

The 3rd profile actually had different colour rendering. Its showing first row squares in the test square pattern wallpaper to a greater extent and it's brighter than default 1st and also 2nd profiles which are darker in colours with more contrast. 

While being in 3rd profile and changing from the "Native" color gamut to gamuts like "DCIP3", "sRGB", "DisplayP3" in MyAsus Splendid the colour profiles automatically changing to their respective default profiles like:

For Srgb: Asus_K6602VU_8086_834C4178_sRGB and same goes with DCIP3 & Display P3. these default respective colour profiles look darker same as default 1st profile that I mentioned above.

The 3rd color profile can be applied for these three Color Gamuts manually, but after applying these gamuts looked more brighter and less contrast with lighter colours than those default respective color gamuts Colour Profiles.

In (Discrete GPU mode) :

ASUS_K6602VU_10DE_834C4178_CMDEF

For Dgpu mode this is the only COLOR PROFILE and while changing Color Gamuts their default colour profiles would replace this.

<Note: HDR overrides colour profiles (no color profile in HDR)>

So why these inconsistencies with SDR, is it Firmware issue, panel issue or the calibration issue I couldn't understand

Other OLED panels don't had this kind of issue and even once I compared mine (K6602vu) with exact same model that is (K6502vu) with 15 inch screen having 2.8k res while mine had 16 inch 3.2k res.

My laptop had these Color profiles (Hybrid mode) :

1) ASUS_K6602VU_8086_834C4178_CMDEF

2) ASUS_X1503ZA_8086_834C416E_CMDEF

3) sRGB display profile with display hardware configuration data derived from calibration 

The 3rd profile actually had different colour rendering. Its showing first row squares in the test square pattern wallpaper to a greater extent and it's brighter than default 1st and also 2nd profiles which are darker in colours with more contrast. 

While being in 3rd profile and changing from the "Native" color gamut to gamuts like "DCIP3", "sRGB", "DisplayP3" in MyAsus Splendid, the 3rd colour profile automatically changing to their respective default color profiles like:

For Srgb: Asus_K6602VU_8086_834C4178_sRGB and same goes with DCIP3 & Display P3. these default respective colour profiles look darker as same as default 1st profile that I mentioned above.

The 3rd color profile can be applied for these three Color Gamuts manually, but after applying, these gamuts looked more brighter and less contrasty with lighter colours than their default respective Colour Profiles.

In (Discrete GPU mode) :

ASUS_K6602VU_10DE_834C4178_CMDEF

For Dgpu mode this is the only COLOR PROFILE and while changing Color Gamuts their default colour profiles would replace this.

<Note: HDR overrides colour profiles (no color profile in HDR)>

So why these inconsistencies with SDR, is it Firmware issue, panel issue or the calibration issue I couldn't understand

Other OLED panels don't had this kind of issue and even once I compared mine (K6602vu) with exact same model that is (K6502vu) with 15 inch screen having 2.8k res while mine had 16 inch 3.2k res.

@Vadanaravinda
I have forwarded the information you provided to the relevant department for confirmation.

If there are any updates, I will get back to you promptly. 
Thank you.