This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance issues (low FPS, FPS drops) with A17 FA706IH (AU059T; Windows 11)

sephSC
Star I
Hello everyone,
I own the above mentioned Asus TUF Laptop, I mostly used it for uni and playing some oldschool games (Diablo 2, AoE 2, etc.). Those worked just fine (obviously), lately I have been playing CS:GO, Satisfactory and Valheim and experienced a lot of issues with low FPS or heavy FPS drops.
I have tried a LOT of things, including:
Keeping Windows 11 and all drivers up to date (GPU, BIOS, everything)
Making performance-favored settings inside the Nvidia Control Center (prefer dedicated GPU, Power settings to maximize performance, etc.)
Making sure that power plan settings in Windows are focused on "High Performance"
Also check the Graphic Settings in Windows 11 and give problematic games, like valheim.exe, the "High Performance"-setting (and thus using the dGPU)
Set games to "High"-Priority via the Task Manager
Lowering ingame gfx-settings, trying Vulkan where possible
Use MSI Afterburner to keep an eye on temps, also overclock GPU in small steps
Set the mode to "Turbo" in ArmoryCrate
...with no real changes or improvements. In Valheim for example, GPU and CPU will be at around ~40% usage most of the time (with normal temps) while producing 35 FPS at best with low-med settings.
I've stumbled upon similar threads while googling around and one solution mentioned was upgrading memory to dual channel. I opened up the A17 to check and found 2x8gb pieces - so this should be fine, or not? Otherwise I will try and buy/install some other RAM. Other specs used are a GTX 1650 and Ryzen 5 4600H.
I am out of ideas right now, but if anyone knows anything to actually fix this, please let me know, thank you very much.
4 REPLIES 4

Falcon_ASUS
sephSC

Hello everyone,

I own the above mentioned Asus TUF Laptop, I mostly used it for uni and playing some oldschool games (Diablo 2, AoE 2, etc.). Those worked just fine (obviously), lately I have been playing CS:GO, Satisfactory and Valheim and experienced a lot of issues with low FPS or heavy FPS drops.

I have tried a LOT of things, including:

• Keeping Windows 11 and all drivers up to date (GPU, BIOS, everything)
  • Making performance-favored settings inside the Nvidia Control Center (prefer dedicated GPU, Power settings to maximize performance, etc.)
  • Making sure that power plan settings in Windows are focused on "High Performance"
  • Also check the Graphic Settings in Windows 11 and give problematic games, like valheim.exe, the "High Performance"-setting (and thus using the dGPU)
  • Set games to "High"-Priority via the Task Manager
  • Lowering ingame gfx-settings, trying Vulkan where possible
  • Use MSI Afterburner to keep an eye on temps, also overclock GPU in small steps
  • Set the mode to "Turbo" in ArmoryCrate

...with no real changes or improvements. In Valheim for example, GPU and CPU will be at around ~40% usage most of the time (with normal temps) while producing 35 FPS at best with low-med settings.

I've stumbled upon similar threads while googling around and one solution mentioned was upgrading memory to dual channel. I opened up the A17 to check and found 2x8gb pieces - so this should be fine, or not? Otherwise I will try and buy/install some other RAM. Other specs used are a GTX 1650 and Ryzen 5 4600H.

I am out of ideas right now, but if anyone knows anything to actually fix this, please let me know, thank you very much.

Performance issues (low FPS, FPS drops) with A17 FA706IH (AU059T; Windows 11)
@sephSC
Can you please provide me with a video or picture of the problem so I can confirm it? (It is best to show the current FPS)
In addition, please provide the BIOS version, system version, and display card driver version you are using.
Thank you.

sephSC
Star I
Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/67336/performance-issues-low-fps-fps-drops-with-a17-fa706ih-a...

@sephSC

Can you please provide me with a video or picture of the problem so I can confirm it? (It is best to show the current FPS)

In addition, please provide the BIOS version, system version, and display card driver version you are using.

Thank you.

View post
Thanks for your response @Falcon_ASUS
You can find screenshots of Valheim playing on low-med settings here, FPS and temps on the bottom right (sorry i cant post direct links yet):
looking at the house, etc:
screenshot-2022-12-30-092618.png
looking at the ground:
screenshot-2022-12-30-092533.png

looking at the house, but with ALL gfx-settings to max:
screenshot-2022-12-30-092757.png

For drivers:
BIOS is at Version 323, which seems to be the latest according to the ASUS site; I downloaded every driver from there to update everything
What do you mean by system version? I am using Windows 11 with all the updates installed
For the graphic cards driver it says 527.56, which seems to be the latest according the the GeForce Experience app.

TInkering around with the graphics settings inside the game made me think there has to be some kind of throttle somewhere, since putting everything to max made almost no difference fps-wise?

Thanks

Falcon_ASUS
sephSC

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/243280#Comment_243280

Thanks for your response @Falcon_ASUS

You can find screenshots of Valheim playing on low-med settings here, FPS and temps on the bottom right (sorry i cant post direct links yet):

• looking at the house, etc:

screenshot-2022-12-30-092618.png

• looking at the ground:

screenshot-2022-12-30-092533.png

• looking at the house, but with ALL gfx-settings to max:

screenshot-2022-12-30-092757.png

For drivers:

• BIOS is at Version 323, which seems to be the latest according to the ASUS site; I downloaded every driver from there to update everything
  • What do you mean by system version? I am using Windows 11 with all the updates installed
  • For the graphic cards driver it says 527.56, which seems to be the latest according the the GeForce Experience app.

TInkering around with the graphics settings inside the game made me think there has to be some kind of throttle somewhere, since putting everything to max made almost no difference fps-wise?

Thanks

View post
@sephSC
What do you mean by system version? I am using Windows 11 with all the updates installed
sorry for confusing you, I mean operating system build version.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/which-version-of-windows-operating-system-am-i-running-6...

ZenBot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.