This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance for BIOS update to allow disabling fTPM?

Hamstray
Rising Star I
System: Windows 10 64-bit
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zephyrus G15 GA503QS
Frequency of occurrence: Random
Reset OS: Too Many Times
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:Hello, since AMD have officially acknowledged the fTPM stutter issues that have been plaguing me since getting my laptop, would it be possible for ASUS to release a new version of my laptop's BIOS that allows me to disable fTPM until and if an actual fix arrives? I know AMD claims to have something in the works but it still requires waiting at least until May, and even then it might not even work in the end. In any case I'd like to be able to disable fTPM, I don't think it's right to force it on me.
Unfortunately the support in my country is a complete travesty (they still ignore the fTPM issue even though it's been in news media and AMD themselves said the issue exists, in fact before the issue got official recognition they went as far as trying to convince me that 1. my laptop doesn't have any TPM and 2. that AMD chipsets don't support TPM in general) so I can't get any assistance from them.
89 REPLIES 89

gamervibe
Star II
sreams

As someone else who has encountered this issue on my laptop since I purchased it (I do live pro audio, and the issue put me in a position where I had to purchase a second laptop with Intel CPU), I can say with all certainty that this is the now-known and acknowledged fTPM stutter issue. AMD knows about it. AGESA 1.2.0.7 fixes it. I read through this entire thread and find it mind-boggling that ASUS constantly deflects when they could instead simply integrate AGESA 1.2.0.7 into their AMD laptop BIOSes and be done with the problem (as they have with desktop motherboards). The logic dance they do to avoid directly confronting this is insane:

ASUS: Here's how to disable fTPM

Customer: My laptop BIOS doesn't have that option

ASUS: We can't allow you to disable fTPM for data security

Customer: I though you just instructed me how to disable it. And isn't the data you are talking about my data? The level of security I am willing to accept is my own.

ASUS: Send us your laptop again so we can test for everything except the actual very well-known issue... one we could fix easily by implementing the fix supplied by AMD months ago.

Wild.

That said, my ROG Stryx 17 (Ryzen 5900HX) did finally just receive a BIOS update yesterday. Hoping this includes the latest AGESA version that fixes this, but not counting on it, considering how relentless ASUS is in avoiding the topic altogether. So strange, considering the low hanging fruit that is there to just fix it (by either adding a single tick box to the BIOS, or integrating AMD's fix).

EDIT: I'd also add... it is frustrating that BIOS versions on ASUS AMD laptops do not report what AGESA version they are using.

View post
I have the G713QR model, which is similar to yours and have an FX505DD as well. Both have the FTPM stutter issue.
I can confirm that the 327 and 329 BIOS updates do not fix the FTPM issue, sadly. That being said, they do introduce new problems which is why I am still using 325.

327 introduces a bug with fan curve profiles and the fans seem to operate at lower RPM.
329 fixes the bug that is in 327 with lower fan speeds but now ignores 0% fan profiles and runs fans a bit higher than it normally does. Also introduces a brightness bug that effects the internal display.

I don't know why ASUS is ignoring a well known issue or how they keep introducing new issues with their BIOS updates. There is actual confirmation of this problem by AMD and they have left this now in the hands of suppliers to implement the fix. Several desktop users have received a fix but I can't find any reports suggesting that laptops have been fixed and so far to this date, the latest BIOS does not fix the issue.

ASUS, please start updating your bios for all products, including your laptops. AGESA 1.2.0.7 microcode is the version that introduces the FTPM fix.

rjdollete
Star I
sreams

As someone else who has encountered this issue on my laptop since I purchased it (I do live pro audio, and the issue put me in a position where I had to purchase a second laptop with Intel CPU), I can say with all certainty that this is the now-known and acknowledged fTPM stutter issue. AMD knows about it. AGESA 1.2.0.7 fixes it. I read through this entire thread and find it mind-boggling that ASUS constantly deflects when they could instead simply integrate AGESA 1.2.0.7 into their AMD laptop BIOSes and be done with the problem (as they have with desktop motherboards). The logic dance they do to avoid directly confronting this is insane:

ASUS: Here's how to disable fTPM

Customer: My laptop BIOS doesn't have that option

ASUS: We can't allow you to disable fTPM for data security

Customer: I though you just instructed me how to disable it. And isn't the data you are talking about my data? The level of security I am willing to accept is my own.

ASUS: Send us your laptop again so we can test for everything except the actual very well-known issue... one we could fix easily by implementing the fix supplied by AMD months ago.

Wild.

That said, my ROG Stryx 17 (Ryzen 5900HX) did finally just receive a BIOS update yesterday. Hoping this includes the latest AGESA version that fixes this, but not counting on it, considering how relentless ASUS is in avoiding the topic altogether. So strange, considering the low hanging fruit that is there to just fix it (by either adding a single tick box to the BIOS, or integrating AMD's fix).

EDIT: I'd also add... it is frustrating that BIOS versions on ASUS AMD laptops do not report what AGESA version they are using.

View post
I am in the same boat as you. The stuttering issue makes my laptop entirely worthless for both recording and performing live audio (using Ableton Live, Traktor Pro). I scoured the whole of the internet looking for solutions until discovering the fTPM issue, and my symptoms are EXACTLY like the YouTube videos that demonstrate them. It's terrible.
Buying this flagship laptop was supposed to be my foray back into Windows after using Apple Macbook Pros for over 10 years, and it has made me want to go running back.

Hamstray
Rising Star I
@Falcon_ASUS, it's been a while, hasn't it?
So you folks claimed that you won't allow disabling the fTPM because it might hurt the security of your poor consumers that don't know what's good for them, right?
Well, according to this Class Action Suit against HP over the exact same issue we've been complaining about here (https://www.classaction.org/blog/class-action-says-defect-in-hp-amd-computers-causes-severe-stutteri...), the fTPM actually harms the device's security!
So maybe allow us to disable the fTPM, if not because that's what we want and need to be able to enjoy using our laptops, then for our security.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Hamstray

@Falcon_ASUS, it's been a while, hasn't it?

So you folks claimed that you won't allow disabling the fTPM because it might hurt the security of your poor consumers that don't know what's good for them, right?

Well, according to this Class Action Suit against HP over the exact same issue we've been complaining about here (https://www.classaction.org/blog/class-action-says-defect-in-hp-amd-computers-causes-severe-stutteri...), the fTPM actually harms the device's security!

So maybe allow us to disable the fTPM, if not because that's what we want and need to be able to enjoy using our laptops, then for our security.

View post
A random blogpost claiming nonsense is not proof of anything. Hp got the lawsuit due to the suttering, because it's unusable for people, not because security is comprosmised, that's something the blogger just made up for whatever reason.
And that should also be reason enough for ASUS to let the user disable it, having a device that can't even do basic things like watching a video is not acceptable.
If ASUS doesn't want to do anything about it, simply return the device, it's clearly broken.

Hamstray
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/221857#Comment_221857

A random blogpost claiming nonsense is not proof of anything. Hp got the lawsuit due to the suttering, because it's unusable for people, not because security is comprosmised, that's something the blogger just made up for whatever reason.

And that should also be reason enough for ASUS to let the user disable it, having a device that can't even do basic things like watching a video is not acceptable.

If ASUS doesn't want to do anything about it, simply return the device, it's clearly broken.

View post
The "blogpost" has a link to the whole of the class action complaint document, which if you read even a tiny bit you'd see it included the security issues (the complaint claims are) introduced by the faulty component that is the fTPM. The (classaction.org) blogger wasn't making anything up here.
Since ASUS clearly doesn't care about computer performance or customer satisfaction, but claimed to care about security, I hoped to convince them to do something good for once in the name of that. Of course I know they don't really care, but I also know they don't need your help defending themselves.