This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance for BIOS update to allow disabling fTPM?

Hamstray
Rising Star I
System: Windows 10 64-bit
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zephyrus G15 GA503QS
Frequency of occurrence: Random
Reset OS: Too Many Times
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:Hello, since AMD have officially acknowledged the fTPM stutter issues that have been plaguing me since getting my laptop, would it be possible for ASUS to release a new version of my laptop's BIOS that allows me to disable fTPM until and if an actual fix arrives? I know AMD claims to have something in the works but it still requires waiting at least until May, and even then it might not even work in the end. In any case I'd like to be able to disable fTPM, I don't think it's right to force it on me.
Unfortunately the support in my country is a complete travesty (they still ignore the fTPM issue even though it's been in news media and AMD themselves said the issue exists, in fact before the issue got official recognition they went as far as trying to convince me that 1. my laptop doesn't have any TPM and 2. that AMD chipsets don't support TPM in general) so I can't get any assistance from them.
89 REPLIES 89

Hamstray
Rising Star I
How would you "confirm" that the microstutters are happening due to the fTPM? Do you have a test to confirm this? What kind of test is it? Can I perform this test myself? I'd love to. Strange that I haven't heard of it anywhere until now.
More importantly, if there isn't a BIOS update that fixes the issue, or allows me to disable the fTPM, how can you provide any "improvements to my """"actual"""" situation"??
(I know you're trying to say I must be wrong about what's causing the microstutters for... reasons, I'm sure you can tell me why, or well, you can't, you're just wasting time so that you don't need to provide actual answers)
Are any ASUS laptops going to recieve a BIOS update with the fTPM microstutter fix?
WHEN?
let us disable the fTPM
e: @Falcon_ASUS

Hamstray
Rising Star I
A couple more questions about your fTPM test -
how come you spent your resources developing this test instead of a fix for laptops? when did you develop it, considering you've spent so long in this thread not even knowing the issue exists somehow (or rather refusing to acknowledge it exists)
how come owners of desktop computers don't need to pass some test to recieve a BIOS update with the fix, or the option to disable the fTPM? why are the people that can disable fTPM the first ones to recieve the fix, while us laptop users who can't disable it aren't even given a timeframe for how long we need to wait for a fix to finally arrive?

Falcon_ASUS
Hamstray

How would you "confirm" that the microstutters are happening due to the fTPM? Do you have a test to confirm this? What kind of test is it? Can I perform this test myself? I'd love to. Strange that I haven't heard of it anywhere until now.

More importantly, if there isn't a BIOS update that fixes the issue, or allows me to disable the fTPM, how can you provide any "improvements to my """"actual"""" situation"??

(I know you're trying to say I must be wrong about what's causing the microstutters for... reasons, I'm sure you can tell me why, or well, you can't, you're just wasting time so that you don't need to provide actual answers)

1. Are any ASUS laptops going to recieve a BIOS update with the fTPM microstutter fix?
  2. WHEN?
  3. let us disable the fTPM

e: @Falcon_ASUS

View post
@Hamstray
As in the previous reply, there may be many reasons for the stutters, including ssd, ram, cpu...,etc. We will test according to your actual situation. We sincerely hope that you can go to our service center to have further inspection. Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Hamstray
Rising Star I
@Falcon_ASUS
As in the previous replies, your company's useless tests didn't find any issues before, and since I very much doubt you've changed them in the last year there's no point in sending the laptop again just so you can say you didn't find anything, and since there's just "no way" your tests could be bad that means the stutters must be my fault somehow. While you'll still ignore how the fTPM might be the cause, which your tests aren't designed to look at.
Why are you so insistent on not giving us the answers to the original question - when do we get a fix for the fTPM issue, and/or will be allowed to disable the fTPM? Why does ASUS want to force a faulty component on us and refuses to fix it, only for us people who are forced to use it? Why are users who could disable the faulty component anyway given the fix, but we aren't?

Hamstray
Rising Star I
@Falcon_ASUS, I think I let you and @GEEK_ASUS distract from the main issue for too long. My particular case or anyone else's doesn't matter here. I shouldn't have mentioned refunds as that made it seem like it does, but it doesn't.
The AMD fTPM stutter issue exists. AMD acknowledges it, ASUS has pushed out BIOS updates for desktop motherboards to fix the issue. Meanwhile, laptop users aren't even given a timeframe for how long they might have to wait for the fix, and worse, unlike with desktop users, laptop users can't even disable the faulty component while they wait for the fix, for no good reason (the security concerns claim is less than thruthful).
Tell us when we'll get the fix, and also allow us to disable the fTPM, both until the fix the ready and after. Desktop users are allowed to disable it as they see fit, and so should we be.