This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get more than 200 Mbps on RP-AX58 in AiMesh mode but ok as Access Points

psychopomp1
Star I

Hi,

I have a XT12 router and have 3 range extender units RP-AX58 plugged into 3 different rooms via ethernet - wifi is too weak to reach the 3 rooms. When using the units as Access Points (APs) then speeds are fine, around 800 Mbps over wifi 6 (my internet connection is 1000/250 Mbps). However when I put them in AiMesh mode then speeds are limited to approx 200 Mbps - this happens in both ethernet backhaul modes ON and OFF in AiMesh settings on XT12. Anyone know what the issue could be? My suspicion is that the wifi channel settings on the range extenders - which cannot be changed in AiMesh mode - is using 20/40 Mhz channel width unlike in Access Point which can be set to 160Mhz.

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6

You may be onto something regarding available channel width when set up as AiMesh.  AiMesh provides a “self healing” function which seamlessly switches to WiFi backhaul IF the Ethernet backhaul somehow fails/wire breaks or disconnected.  If the RP connects at 160 MHz to a client in AiMesh mode then there would be no available emergency bandwidth to jump to.

I don’t have a solution in my mind but thought of this possibility for now…

psychopomp1
Star I

@Aureliannn_ASUS

I created a support ticket ref E24010016125-0001 but I've given been a standard off the shelf response by the agent, which was not helpful at all. Can you escalate this to someone technical at Asus?

Thank you