cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMB68: SAMBA accounts cannot be used

iser
Star I

Hi all,

I hope somebody can help me. I had a set of XT9, which worked perfectly with my external hard disk. Now, I have purchased the EMB68 and GUI of expertwifi.net gives me a lot of troubles. The main one is:

Under “USB Application” and “Samba Share”, I can create new accounts besides my main “admin” account and assign R/W or R rights to it. (In Safari and Firefox the part with these rights is not even shown: I can see it only in Chrome) I assign the correct rights (R/W) to the new account but cannot access the data of the drive by using this account. The message “access denied” is shown in the application I am using. However, when I use the credentials of the main “admin” account, everything works flawlessly. 

I suspect that the new accounts are just shown in GUI but the assigned rights (R/W) are not saved somehow. 

How can I solve this issue? I am running the latest firmware, have tested different browsers, devices and even the Asus ExpertWifi app on my tablet. Nothing works.  I also checked all possible forums but could not find any solution. 

12 REPLIES 12

It's funny you mention that you tried two ways to hard reset the router.  I just did a rebuild of my network, and I actually had difficulty hard resetting a couple of them, (2 or 3)!

Here's the page with the collection of firmware for the unit, if I'm able to link it correctly:

https://www.asus.com/us/networking-iot-servers/business-network-solutions/asus-expertwifi/asus-exper...

3.0.0.6.102_44384 seems to be the latest.  Sometimes reverting to an older one helps restore lost functionality as an FYI.  (This doesn't seem to be the case here)...

jzchen, I am glad that you managed to rebuild your home network. 🙂 Doing a hard reset isn’t that difficult on the EBM68. I actually did it three times because the admin password was first not accepted for some reason after I had changed it: this was my first hard reset. 

Thanks a lot! I will check that page and see whether I can download an older but more stable version of the firmware. Thank you for being so kind and trying to help/assist me. I appreciate that. 

iser
Star I

Maybe, there are other people on this forum using the same router/firmware who have managed to fix the problem with SAMBA I am facing. It would be very helpful if they could give me a few tips on how to do it.