cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMB68: SAMBA accounts cannot be used

iser
Star I

Hi all,

I hope somebody can help me. I had a set of XT9, which worked perfectly with my external hard disk. Now, I have purchased the EMB68 and GUI of expertwifi.net gives me a lot of troubles. The main one is:

Under “USB Application” and “Samba Share”, I can create new accounts besides my main “admin” account and assign R/W or R rights to it. (In Safari and Firefox the part with these rights is not even shown: I can see it only in Chrome) I assign the correct rights (R/W) to the new account but cannot access the data of the drive by using this account. The message “access denied” is shown in the application I am using. However, when I use the credentials of the main “admin” account, everything works flawlessly. 

I suspect that the new accounts are just shown in GUI but the assigned rights (R/W) are not saved somehow. 

How can I solve this issue? I am running the latest firmware, have tested different browsers, devices and even the Asus ExpertWifi app on my tablet. Nothing works.  I also checked all possible forums but could not find any solution. 

12 REPLIES 12

jzchen
Zen Master I

This definitely sounds like a bug that ASUS needs to fix, hopefully sooner than later...

I just completed a Feedback log which gets sent to their technicians.  I suggest you try and/or call support directly.  (A support phone call may not result in a solution, cautionary note).

Hi jzchen,

Thanks for your reply. I have also already sent feedback to the technicians. I hope they will fix this issue as soon as possible. For now, I have no clue what to do… 😕

To be completely honest about my experience with SAMBA, I completely disabled security to the entire drive by enabling/allowing Guest Login.  I have ever since left my USB HDD running that way, with complete access to it, (maximum 5 clients at a time per it's setting, but I'm only ever using a maximum of 1 at a time.  I don't think anyone else in the family even knows how to access it).

Personally, I would not do that due to security concerns. For years, I was running my XT9 without any issues using SAMBA and custom accounts with my own login names/passwords. You would expect that the newer EMB68 has at least the same level of security and that problems like the one I described above do not exist.