This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 14 putting Zenfone 9 into endless boot cycle

tbessie
Star III

After I upgraded to Android 14, the first time I rebooted, the phone went into an endless reboot cycle.

I forced it to turn off, then started it again and it worked.

Just now I restarted it, and it went into the boot cycle again.

I've restarted it 4 times, and each time it's gone into the boot cycle.

This seems to happen as soon as the SIM is registered and it connects to a network.

Is this happening with anyone else? Anyone at Asus know about this?

- Tim

58 REPLIES 58

Jpn20
Star II

Seems like the common theme is that it's only happening to people on the AT&T network. I switched 2 weeks ago to a Samsung Galaxy S24 since I had a feeling it wouldn't be fixed anytime soon. I couldn't risk the reset happening when i was away from home since it otherwise was impossible to recover my account unless I was on home wifi. AT&T had a promo to get $800 off a galaxy S24 (essentially free for the base version) with an eligible trade in. I had an old iPhone SE (2nd gen) from a family member that was eligible so i did the trade in. Very happy so far with Samsung. 

@Jpn20 I had my old Zenfone 8, so I updated it and switched back to that; it's working fine, but I wish I didn't have to do that.  Also, as soon as I'd heard that the Zenfone 11 might not come in a compact version (I guess we need to wait until July to be sure), I bought the best spec'd Zenfone 10 that was currently available in a US model (the highest spec'd one was either no longer available, or never was).  I haven't tried putting my SIM in that yet, though - hopefully it will work okay given that it's a different phone. 😕

But I hope Asus fixes this problem.

jheckard
Star III

Just adding to the list of affected Zenfone 9s. I haven't experienced any issues with mine since originally purchased, even though I had mine before they were even on the approved AT&T listing of phones. Until the Android 14 update. Since then I have now done three complete factory resets. Thankfully all is again working well, for now, but I am feeling very concerned about getting stuck in the reboot cycle again. Especially since I had been considering purchasing the new Zenfone 11, but I have no interest in the larger Ultra version because of the size difference. 

AI2202 / Serial # N9AIB7002651EJ6 / Currrent Android Build WW_34.0304.2004.87

tbessie
Star III

@jheckard I wonder why it took 3 resets - did it not work the first two times??  Doesn't speak well to my trying that...

I'm also not at all interested in a larger phone like that.  I'll just get a Pixel if I don't care about size; but I DO care about size.   I guess the trend of people using their phone and ONLY their phone for all their computing needs is driving that? (or at least their media consumption?)  I can't understand why anybody would WANT such a huge thing in their pocket all the time. 😕

- Tim

The resets appeared to work perfectly each time. I do keep my back ups current, and have so far not had any issues with restoring everything. However, each time the funtionality has only lasted a few days then it just randomly starts the reboot cycle again. Thankfully, each time it has happened has been at the end of the day when I am home. IF it makes any difference, each time has also happened after I plugged in the phone at night to recharge.