This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 14 putting Zenfone 9 into endless boot cycle

tbessie
Star III

After I upgraded to Android 14, the first time I rebooted, the phone went into an endless reboot cycle.

I forced it to turn off, then started it again and it worked.

Just now I restarted it, and it went into the boot cycle again.

I've restarted it 4 times, and each time it's gone into the boot cycle.

This seems to happen as soon as the SIM is registered and it connects to a network.

Is this happening with anyone else? Anyone at Asus know about this?

- Tim

58 REPLIES 58

AdamColligan
Star I

Add me to the nightmare, and yes I'm an AT&T customer. I was thankfully able to boot into safe mode and pull some essential data off. The logs I got over ADB are absolute carnage. Interestingly, just enabling wifi is enough to crash the phone into the boot loop if the SIM card is physically present in the device. With the SIM out wifi is accessible, and it looks like maybe the whole phone works, as others have reported here.

Did anyone who PMed logs receive a response?

Definitely getting a new phone when I can. This thing has been a real lemon from the start: constant pocket activation with embarrassing text/email sends, a double-tap gesture that never works when I try but randomly happens when I'm just holding the phone, a fast-loosening USB port, trouble with in-call audio, screen sharing, and file transfers.... It just wasn't ready to be released, and they never put the effort in to acknowledge problems and push fixes.

@AdamColligan I sent the logs to the admin here, and he said he sent them to the techs at Asus, who are looking into it.  Hope they can find a fix for it!

I'm currently using my old Zenfone 8 now, and also got a Zenfone 10 which I'll move to eventually.  Just a shame I can't use the phone I'd been using due to this bug.

I never had many issues with the Zenfone 9 (nor the Zenfone 8, either); I DID have that pocket-activation problem you mentioned, despite pocket protection being turned on... weird settings changes were mostly what happened, which was frustrating, as I then had no idea WHAT settings were changed. 😕

Phluffy
Star II

Add me to the list.

The same thing happened to me this afternoon.  I'm on AT&T.

How do you access the fault logs after they're generated?

RedditNSh1t
Star I

Have reset to factory multiple times decided to play with safe mode and came to the conclusion it's the 5g network. My process so far, restart to safe mode (hold power off pop up should show and safe mode will pop up got to be quick to click) after boot to safe mode I realized airplane mode was on and when I would turn on mobile data it would restart, at this point when in safe mode turn off airplane mode then immediately turn off the mobile data and then search in settings for 5g and turn that off. Restart and that worked for me to stop the reboot loop.  Now if you want 5g turn it back on but be sure to turn off auto 5g.  That seems to be the problem so far.  (AT&T network)

@RedditNSh1t Great! I may try that (or wait until they come up with a fix, or - if never - switch to the Zenfone 10).  Sounds like you have to be really quick - I often am not quick enough when I've tried that in the past.