This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 hotspot not working after Android 13 update

sevilla952
Star I

I installed the pushed update for Android 13 on my Zenfone 8, and after that my WiFi hotspot stopped working. The option is no longer under its typical location in Settings > Network & Internet, it must be searched for or accessed via shortcut. I have tried changing all Hotspot settings, factory reset the phone, and I even contacted my wireless provider to confirm service is active for my account. I have read that downgrading to Android 12 enables WiFi functionality again, but I'd like to know how ASUS will address the issue.

80 REPLIES 80

larryfriedman63
Star II

Same issue. No hotspot support. On ATT with a plan that support hotspot. Worked on A12. Have not had a need  to use it now and slider button does not move or immediately slides back to Off. Anything new on this?

Hi @larryfriedman63 ,

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please check the top right corner and kindly share the serial number and details requested in the PM inbox.

Thank you!

Hey Larry, I can upload the A12  firmware provided by Asus during A13 beta when I needed to restore it. And then you want to use this process Arthur mentioned earlier to disable the auto-update

FOR DISABLING:

Windows Command Prompt: adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.asus.dm

Windows PowerShell: .\adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.asus.dm

FOR RE-ENABLING:

Windows Command Prompt: adb shell pm enable com.asus.dm
Windows PowerShell: .\adb shell pm enable com.asus.dm

larryfriedman63
Star II

Thanks. Here is the update. Asus contacted me by PM and asked for my contact info. Someone called me and offered to repair the phone as a courtesy. They indicated it is a hardware issue and could not be fixed with settings or software changes. A repair would require being without my only phone for about 2 weeks, which was not very attractive. 

Then, about 10 minutes ago, I got the notification of a system update, which I installed. 

My hotspot now works. I can turn it on and it stays on.  It also shows up on my PC as an available network. It appears that the issue could be fixed with software. For the moment, I take this as a win and hope others get the same result (and that it continues to work).

n_2
Star II

Confirming Larry's report: This bug appears to be fixed by the update included with the May security patch. There is no need to roll back to Android 12 and lose all your data.

To the folks at ASUS: First, thank you for fixing the bug; it makes a world of difference, particularly right now when I'm about to begin travel and would otherwise be severely hobbled. Second, it's not just what you do, it's how you do it. Acknowledging that you were aware of this problem and communicating that you were working on a fix would've earned you my loyalty; the uncertainty (and lost data) that resulted from the hodgepodge of workarounds and erroneous "support" directives to ship in the phone certainly has not. That said, ASUS is contributing a device to the US smartphone market unmatched by its competitors; for me personally, the size, headphone jack, battery management features could not be found with top-tier overall hardware anywhere else. Keep at it.