cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light sensor not working

andreaemonti
Star II
Hi everybody,
the light sensor of my Zenfone 8 is not working.
I noticed it because when I have adaptive brigthness ON, as soon as I lock and unlock the device, the screen gets very dim (the slider is still up, and as soon as I move it, the brightness kicks up again).
Later I tried some apps that let you read your sensors measurements. I saw that every app can read every sensor, but the light sensor, which does not give any value at all (some app shows 0 or -1, because I guess that's how the variable is initialized in the app).
Is it a hardware problem? Is it common for just the light sensor to break?
Can it be a kernel/driver/firmware/software problem? I noticed this issue after a few weeks I updated to Android 12 in July (waited long because I was not sure about the big android 12 UI...) and subsequently did all the following updates. Is there any way to detect if the problem is software with something lower level than app, like adb, and maybe solve it without sending the phone to warranty?
Thank you!
9 REPLIES 9

Ronzky321
Star III
AFAIK this phone can be buggy if you don't do a factory reset after updating from A11 to A12.

keren_ASUS
Hi @andreaemonti
We're so sorry to hear of the issues you're facing with your ZenFone. Please try Ronzky321's suggestion, and reset your device.
Thank you!

Alex_s
Rising Star I
@andreaemonti I've noticed the exact same issue. Only a restart does fix the issue.

cicagorio
Rising Star II
Had the same issue here, it is gone now but I am not sure what fixed it though. It was super annoying. Brightness would drop to where I can't see at all then I manually set it to bright. Next time it would be the same issue. I have not reset my phone when I upgraded to Android 12 (and I don't plan to). Android 13 is coming soonish so I will hold out for that as I hate having to set up all of my banking and other security apps again (given that I need to get physical letters with codes to activate them)