This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging problem with 3rd party charger

cytrus224
Rising Star I
Hey, i have some problems charging zenfone8 with Baseus GAN2 PRO 65w charger. If i connect the phone to the first type-c it will charge 1%, maybe 2% and it won't keep charging, however i see double thunderbolt icon next to the battery and its says its fastcharging on the lockscreen.
If i connect it to second type-c, it charges normally, but i think only 18W.
I'm using type-c cable capable of 100w charging via usb-PD
43 REPLIES 43

rej
Star II
Hi,
I can confirm this problem as well.
I've tried:
Anker powerport atom III slim 63w
Elecjet x21 GaN 62W PD(PPS) charger
Both are not working properly with the Zenfone 8. The Asus Zenfone 8 will simply not charge from the chargers USB-c output ports or stop after a few seconds. If i use an USB-A output port with a USB-A to USB-C cable, it will charge fine. The chargers are working fine with their USB-c ports on my other devices.
This is almost certainly a protocol bug implementation on the zenfone 8 side. It should just work fine with USB PD 3.0 - but it doesn't.
This is hugely annoying 😞
Did you get any useful instructions from the ASUS moderator?

cytrus224
Rising Star I
rej

Hi,

I can confirm this problem as well.

I've tried:

• Anker powerport atom III slim 63w
  • Elecjet x21 GaN 62W PD(PPS) charger

Both are not working properly with the Zenfone 8. The Asus Zenfone 8 will simply not charge from the chargers USB-c output ports or stop after a few seconds. If i use an USB-A output port with a USB-A to USB-C cable, it will charge fine. The chargers are working fine with their USB-c ports on my other devices.

This is almost certainly a protocol bug implementation on the zenfone 8 side. It should just work fine with USB PD 3.0 - but it doesn't.

This is hugely annoying 😞

Did you get any useful instructions from the ASUS moderator?

View post
I was asked record the issue, to generate and send the logs. Also mod said not to use the 3rd party charger untill they finish investigation. Hopefully they resolve that problem.

Mm hm no no wait for few days

rej
Star II
I've also submitted logs. Hopefully this is fixable!

rej
Star II
Found another usb-c charger that won't work with the Zenfone 8:
INIU 22.5W 10000mah powerbank (BI-B2).
Same issue as everywhere else, it can't establish a charging profile, and will connect/disconnect in a loop once connected via the USB-C output port.
This will charge fine over the USB-A port.
Asus: Any insights yet? A few people provided debug logs now, as I understand.