cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenBook UX camera stop working

Ioana
Star I
Hi,
I have a Laptop ASUS ZenBook 15 UX534FTC-A8263R bought this month, with Win10 Pro. Camera worked fine for several days, but today it is not working in Skype, Zoom, Camera apps - but works ok on facial recognition login!
In device manager, I see 2 cameras, with the same name (!), but one with manufacturer Microsoft, and the other Realteck. I tried disabling them, new drivers, restart, etc - no success.
Please advice.
Thanks,
Ioana
PS: also, google shows that there were previous questions on the same topic, but which were deleted. Please leave the questions, it saves time.
39 REPLIES 39

Suzie
Star II
I wouldn't hold your breath on this one... I have a UX310U Zenbook which I purchased in the summer of 2017 so it was just under three years old on lock down. When I tried to use Zoom it said the camera was not connected. I'd never needed the built in camera before lock down and - but with all the online meetings it was crucial. Anyway - because the warranty expired - I was just told that the camera was disconnected and I would have to pay an unknown about to have Asus look at it. They wouldn't even give me a guide to the cost which I found very frustrating. Anyway - interestingly - I tried all the different options such as updating drivers - as there is so much about cameras not being recognised on the Asus notebooks. I gave up and bought a cheap webcam - and low and behold some how halfway through a zoom meeting I noticed the webcam light had turned on and I had my Zenbook (allegedly not attached) webcam working. So either there is a connection problem or there is some kind of conflict - as there was no change to my laptop to suddenly find it connected. So now - if I am doing a Zoom call I have to use my plug in camera - but usually after about 20 or 30 mins the built in camera comes to life. Sadly ASUS will not help - and I've learnt that I must try all functions on the laptop while in warranty - as I believe this issue is nothing new. Just take a look at the number of people with the same issue. ASUS - please explore this problem further as I find it hard to believe you haven't resolved this... Or it's bad workmanship if the camera is disconnected - it means that someone didn't fit it right in the beginning. But if that's the case - why would it work at all? It's either disconnected or not - and it works occasionally. Lets hope ASUS can explore this further as it's the last ASUS I will be buying. It wasn't a cheap laptop when I bought it - and I feel swindled.

Suzie
Star II
Further to my previous reply about webcams not working. I've just carried out a firmware driver update - and low and behold - on testing my camera it now works! I need have the usb webcam plugged in - but on pulling it out the asus built in camera now works... so I'll try it tomorrrow to see if the bios update made a difference. If it did - I'll reply again - and you may wish to do the same . Device manager, firmware - expand and then click update drivers and the rest it will do automatically. Clever stuff. Backing up your files may be a good idea - but it was quick and easy for me... !

Suzie
Star II
Okay since my last reply - it stopped working as soon as I restarted so the bios upgrade didn't solve the problem. However, if you are running Windows Defender I believe that is the culprit! I thought I would search for allowed applications and programmes just to check if the Camera app / exe file was listed and it wasn't. It was easy to find appropriate files - just by typing cam in the search box (in the add programs section) - and I found an exe file and also a dll file. So I allowed those programs and low and behold my camera now works!!! I'm so happy! Simple when you know how. I'm soglad I didn't listen to the ASUS tech guy who said that my webcam must have been broken ... i.e really disconnected from the laptop. He wanted me to send my laptop but couldnt tell me the cost. Surely Asus should liaise with MS to get this ironed out. The camera should be picked up by WD by default...

michellet176
Star I

I have tried to download firmware updates and am advised everything is up to date but still an issue with the cameras not working.  I had a guy from GEEKS r us come out for another issue (laptop out of warranty) and he was able to fix the issue but have no idea what he did - he took awhile.  But it happened again a couple of months ago, out of nowhere it stopped working (except for facial recognition).  It seems to be a software issue somewhere, but it was complicated to solve.  So frustrating.  My zenbook is not a bad laptop otherwise, but I would have to say I would not purchase again due to this camera issue.  I paid $1800 AUD for it when it was new at the start of the pandemic.  You would at least expect the camera to work for that money.

@michellet176
Please refer to the following FAQ for troubleshooting.
[Notebook/Desktop/AIO] Troubleshooting - How to fix Camera problem
If the problem persists, please contact ASUS repair center in the country of your residence:
https://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/ 
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.