Did you mean: 

UX425EA weak WiFi

JarekM
Star II
Model: UX425EA
========================
Detailed description:
Hello,
I've noticed that my laptop has very weak WiFi in comparison to any device I have. All software and drivers are up to date. Different versions of WiFi driver (form Asus and Intel) doesn't help. Different driver settings either.
For example, the same location:
UX425EA: Signal 78% (reported by Windows) and RSSI -81 (reported by router)
(old) Vivobook UX410UA: Signal 100% (on Windows) and RSSI -64 (on router)
Even tablet or phone laying beside computer has better signal strength (RSSI measured on router).

Low signal causes constant connection speed fluctuations.
In the other location, in multi Access Point environment, it's even worse. I have Signal approx 40% (at Vivobook it was approx 60-70%) and WiFi is constantly switched between APs (connect/disconnect every few minutes). Computer is hunting better signal whenever anybody is moving on the hallway. The same issue is on 2,4 and 5GHz band.

Do you have any idea how to make signal stronger? What else should I check or change?
As both send and receive signal are weak on both WiFi frequency bands I have suspicion that it may be hardware or even design issue.
12 REPLIES 12

JarekM
Star II
More test results in much tougher environment. (Wifi Adapter connected to USB port of the lpatop.)
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz Signal : 29%
TP-Link Wireless Nano USB Adapter Signal : 58%

Information form Intel: "we have plenty of systems using the Intel® AX201 card and no issues have been reported, in this case, the next thing to do will be to report this scenario directly to ASUS since the system might have a hardware problem"

Asus, could you please comment. Is there any solution?

igmanyc
Star I
WiFi connection is dropped when laptop is 15-30 feet away from the Spectrum 's router. Sometime its re-connected in 5 -10 minutes; most of the time is NOT despite all boxes are being checked for automatic [re]connection. It is not a router problem as ASUS suggested. 15 years old laptop just working fine from another room 40 feet away. ASUS is well aware of the existing unstable, unreliable connectivity. Yet, they wasting people's time on workless solutions like Network Reset, Adapter's Uninstall/Refresh. On a top of that, ASUS provided case # is not even on their system. Reviews of ASUS UX425AE laptop among other models ARE WORTHLESS and intentionally MISLEADING. ASUS used to be well respected company. NOT any longer in my opinion, and I have been working in IT for a very long time. Without any practical and timely resolution, I will have to RETURN this LEMON. Potential customers must be made aware of this huge connectivity issue among a few smaller ones.

XMarksTheSpot
Star III
I use a TP Link Archer C6 v3.20 (US) router and just checked the signal strength on my laptop and compared it to my first gen iPhone SE and the results are about the same.

JarekM
Star II
First of all I'd like to thank Asus representatives for not commenting this discussion. It means a lot...

Ahnafm, How do you measure "signal strength ...about the same"? Can you read any signal parameters on iPhone? I can read RSSI on router and signal strength on laptops (all windows 10). UX425 has always lower signal both TX and RX and connection speed is not stable, it's changing all the time. At longer distance from the router it frequently drops.

Interesting comment is also in dependent reveiew at notebookcheck: "Communication, The Intel AX201 comes standard with Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 connectivity. We experienced no issues when paired to our Netgear RAX200 router, but transmit rates are much slower than we would have liked".
It's a pity that they did not investigate reason of "transmit rates are much slower" and test connection on longer distance form router.

Looking on laptop construction I have some suspicions. My other laptops probably has antennas beside screen or they have plastic body. In UX425 antennas are in palm rest, on both sides of trackpad. (see photos on notebookcheck website) As laptop body is metal (or metalised) and there is only small plastic window there is strong attenuation effect until some special antennas are used. This may be a reason of problems.
Asus, am I right?

XMarksTheSpot
Star III
On iPhone you download AirPort Utility then in the Settings app enable the WiFi scanner. The WiFi scanner of the app will show the RSSI. On the laptop you download WiFi Analyzer from Microsoft Store to see RSSI.