cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UM5302 touchscreen

wchieng
Star II
on this page for laptop/home/thin and light
for UM5302 it says that it has touchscreen. However, the next page after selecting UM5302,
it does not mention it has touchscreen. Do you have a touchscreen version for UM5302 or not? For the US market, they seem to be able to choose either version. Are we able to buy the touchscreen version?
thanks (cant post links to the asus hk website)

12 REPLIES 12

wchieng
Star II
Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/232563#Comment_232563

@wchieng

It has been confirmed that a touch-enabled version (90NB0WA1-M00U50) is available for sale in Hong Kong. We would suggest that you can ask your local dealer. Thank you.

View post
Unfortunately i am going for the 13.3 oled AMD version (UM5302). the version they suggested (90NB0WA1-M00U50) seems to be intel based 😞
FongPoui

I have took a look for your model at two asus w eb sites:

1. I like most the Asus Thailand web site where you can find more detailed technical information for your model. https://www.asus.com/th/Laptops/For-Home/Zenbook/Zenbook-S-13-OLED-UM5302-AMD-Ryzen-6000-series/
  2. At asus USA web site, there is no technical specifications. It is hard to see if this model is a touch screen one.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/For-Home/Zenbook/Zenbook-S-13-OLED-UM5302-AMD-Ryzen-6000-series/

View post

FongPoui
Rising Star II
@wchieng
I am very careful when purchasing a model which offers two technologies to choose because I had a bad experience with Lenovo Ideapad gaming 3 four or five years ago.
At first, I purchased an AMD base one. After trying to connect two external hard disks without success, I decided to go back to the shop the day after tomorrow. I showed the technical team how the purchased model could not answer to my need. The shop replaced the AMD gen by the Intel gen. Of course, I paid a little bit more.
That was acceptable.
From that experience, I always pay attention to purchase a new laptop. If I want to buy an AMD based gen, I will recheck for power support to external hard disks.
For your case, if the version suggested by Asus is Intel, may be you have to ask for replacing your current one by Intel based version. I think it is reasonable to pay more if the intel based version is a little bit more expensive than the AMD one...

wchieng
Star II
FongPoui

@wchieng

I am very careful when purchasing a model which offers two technologies to choose because I had a bad experience with Lenovo Ideapad gaming 3 four or five years ago.

At first, I purchased an AMD base one. After trying to connect two external hard disks without success, I decided to go back to the shop the day after tomorrow. I showed the technical team how the purchased model could not answer to my need. The shop replaced the AMD gen by the Intel gen. Of course, I paid a little bit more.

That was acceptable.

From that experience, I always pay attention to purchase a new laptop. If I want to buy an AMD based gen, I will recheck for power support to external hard disks.

For your case, if the version suggested by Asus is Intel, may be you have to ask for replacing your current one by Intel based version. I think it is reasonable to pay more if the intel based version is a little bit more expensive than the AMD one...

View post
yes indeed it is abit more expensive.. the intel version UP5302 is 14000 vs AMD UM5302 is 11000. Reason for choosing AMD is obviously its 20% cheaper for essentially the same spec and also the UM5302 has integrated radeon 680m which suppose to be alot better than intel's iris xe for 3d applications.
based on your previous experience i will indeed check re: power support to ext hdd. thanks for your comment

Blueskull
Star III
wchieng

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/232710#Comment_232710

yes indeed it is abit more expensive.. the intel version UP5302 is 14000 vs AMD UM5302 is 11000. Reason for choosing AMD is obviously its 20% cheaper for essentially the same spec and also the UM5302 has integrated radeon 680m which suppose to be alot better than intel's iris xe for 3d applications.

based on your previous experience i will indeed check re: power support to ext hdd. thanks for your comment

View post
Beware that the AMD version does not support USB4, unlike being wrongfully circulated on the Internet. Asus has released a USB4-enabled firmware for reviewers, but decided not to release it to the public ultimately.

Making things worse, USB4-enabled devices with USB3 compatibility will also not work (such as USB4 docks with USB3 compatibility, the ones based on Intel JHL8440).

When it comes to performance, the AMD 6800U was not being fully utilized in the chassis of UM5302TA. Ideally, the chip should yield some 9000 points in GeekBench 5, while in this chassis it reaches 7500~8000. An average Intel 1260P should get you 8000+ and an average Intel 1280P should get you 9000+, so in the same price league, X1 Nano might be a better fit.

The integrated 680M is indeed a way better GPU, but not good enough to support 2880*1800 gaming, even on competitive titles like CS:GO. The built-in display does not support 1440*900 mode, so integer downscaling is not an option either.

The real advantage of the AMD version is battery life. Even with a power hungry OLED and a less optimized power management driver (I use Linux), my UM5302TA constantly gives me a 10+ hour battery life. Also this laptop is incredibly quiet even under heavy loads. Under normal loads, my unit is barely warm and the fan will not spin at all.

The main reason I went for UM5302TA is because I live in Mainland China, where this machine can be bought for only 6000 CNY (6800U, blue, 512GB, 16GB, the 1TB white version is also available for 6400 CNY), almost 2/3 the price it was sold anywhere else. If I was to pay its listed 1299 USD international price, I would would have chosen an X1 Nano in any day.

For the USB power problem reported by FongPoui, I'm glad to report that on my unit, all those type C ports seem to be happy delivering high power to external HDDs, SSDs and LED screen bars. The left port is a USB3.2 port, which by spec, should be able to deliver 5V 900mA, but most of them are designed to deliver at least 1.5A. The right 2 ports are hardware USB4 ports being downgraded to USB3.2 in firmware. USB4 hardware are required to be able to deliver at least 5V 3A.

Feel free to ask more questions about this device. I've had it for 2 months, and I think I know quite some pros and cons of it.

wchieng
Star II
@blueskull
damn CNY6000 is such an awesome deal! price of those dead stock for older generation machines.
i am sure the oled screen is awesome but do you notice it being 60hz refresh and at any time you feel that you would prefer 90hz refresh?
i do alot of math entry hence i look forward to having at least the virtual numpad rather than the need to get an ext usb numpad. does the numpad work without many mistakes and work as advertise (or is it more of a gimmick)
as for the usb 4 support i am quite disappointed about that.. wonder if we can find that firmware upgrade somewhere online