cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan WBF Fingerprint Sensor driver keeps breaking

ACupOfTea
Star I

Dear all!

I have an issue with my ASUS Zenbook 14 UM3402YA (Ryzen 7 5825U, 16GB Ram) running Windows 11 Home (23H2). The fingerprint sensor randomly stops working and the option to use it no longer appears on the windows login screen. It appears to be a driver issue as the sensor appears in the device manager and it shows an issue notification (see image) and reinstalling the driver (the one available on the official ASUS website) temporarily fixes the issue, however, after a day or two, the driver breaks again.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be much appriciated. Thank you in advance!

FYI: The laptop had issues with its graphics drivers as well, namely, installing AMD Adrenalin would make the internal microphone disappear from the device manager and be rendered unusable, the app would also show no option to update the graphics drivers either, however that issue was fixed with an Adrenalin patch.

3 REPLIES 3

Falcon_ASUS

@ACupOfTea 
To rule out the possibility of system instability causing the issue, it is recommended that you back up your data and then restore the system to its original state for further verification.
[Windows 11/10] How to Reset (Reinstall) the Operating System
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.

@Falcon_ASUS I already sort of ruled it out. The laptop was shipped to ASUS to be repaired once (because of the graphics driver issue) and I included the fingerprint reader issue as well. They tweaked the BIOS and reinstalled the system, at which point both issues were solved and sent it back. Unfortunately both driver issues returned not long after.

@ACupOfTea 
Unfortunately, if you have already reinstalled the system and the issue persists, I would recommend sending it in for further inspection.
The following is the contact information:
https://www.asus.com/support/service-center-location 

Also you can contact the local service center for help.
The following is the contact information:
https://www.asus.com/support/CallUs# 

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.