System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: Both
Model: Zenbook UM425IA
Frequency of occurrence: Always when the laptop is on
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:
I bought a new Zenbook UM425IA and immediately noticed fan noise as soon as I booted the laptop. I've tried multiple steps to fix this including changing the MyAsus profile, limiting Maximum CPU usage, and turning off Turbo Boost. All Windows updates have been applied and all updates from MyAsus have also been applied including the BIOS. The noise is not loud, but it is constantly there even when no applications are open.
From the BIOS, it says that RPM is over 3000 and system temperatures are under 40 C. From the task manager, my CPU usage fluctuates from 3%-4% when no applications are open.
Could somebody offer a solution? Or is this just a "feature" of ASUS laptops? The fans aren't loud or aggressive, but having the fans run at all is a bother, especially when nothing is running. Thanks!
edit: If it helps, I also can't reset the notebook (don't know if this is an indication of something)
6 REPLIES 6

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello hwang,
well... if your device is new, it is very likely it is running Windows update in the background.
Please kindly double check on that.
Thank you.

hwang_edward8
Star I
Hi Blake,
I got in contact with ASUS chat support and went through a bunch of possible solutions, ultimately ending up concluding that there's some kind of hardware defect. For the record, I tried in both Windows 1909 and Windows 2004 with all software updates--including optional ones and without the optional ones--and the fan noise persisted.
I'll update this thread once my replacement arrives.
Thanks 🙂

hwang_edward8
Star I
Just received my replacement unit and the problem persists. The same situation happened: the second the laptop boots up, even from a factory fresh state on a brand new model, the fans begin spinning at an audible fan speed.
Is my unit defective again? Or is there some kind of software solution that I should know about?
Any help would really be appreciated!

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello Hwang,
May we have an audio record of the issue?
Thank you.