cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VivoBook X1603ZA TouchPad driver problem

gr_surnov
Star II

Model: X1603ZA-MB119

BIOS: X1603ZA.303 (was updated before OS installation)

TouchPad works fine in BIOS and passes all tests available there. But in Windows driver cannot be installed.

Device Manager shows unknown device (see attached screenshot) with hardware id ACPI\VEN_ASUE&DEV_1211 or ACPI\ASUE1211.

Driver seems to look for HID\ASUE1211&Col02.

Found a problem looking similar - was solved by installing a driver for another device (which I don't have).

I've tried reinstalling drivers and updating drivers.

Any ideas would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gr_surnov
Star II

@Falcon_ASUS , thanks.

Turns out, Windows Server does not install drivers to support some HID devices, in this case - I2C devices.

Found here a similar problem and adopted the solution as follows:

1. Shrinked system partition and installed Windows 11 on freed space, and all drivers for it.

2. On Windows 11 exported with RegEdit branches (did not bother with psexec, so "Properties" subkeys were not exported):

• [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hidi2c]
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}]
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\ASUE1211]
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\hidi2c]

3. Copied "hidi2c.sys" from Windows Server installation media file boot.wim:\Windows\System32\driver\hidi2c.sys to Windows Server drive C:\Windows\System32\driver\hidi2c.sys.

4. Merged previously exported branches to Windows Server registry and after reboot all drivers found their respective devices, and touchpad works just fine.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Falcon_ASUS

@gr_surnov
As we have not conducted any testing on Windows Server 2022, we cannot guarantee its stability and compatibility.
If you need to confirm whether the touchpad hardware is faulty, we suggest installing the system as Windows 11 for verification. 
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

gr_surnov
Star II

@Falcon_ASUS , thanks.

Turns out, Windows Server does not install drivers to support some HID devices, in this case - I2C devices.

Found here a similar problem and adopted the solution as follows:

1. Shrinked system partition and installed Windows 11 on freed space, and all drivers for it.

2. On Windows 11 exported with RegEdit branches (did not bother with psexec, so "Properties" subkeys were not exported):

• [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hidi2c]
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}]
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\ASUE1211]
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\hidi2c]

3. Copied "hidi2c.sys" from Windows Server installation media file boot.wim:\Windows\System32\driver\hidi2c.sys to Windows Server drive C:\Windows\System32\driver\hidi2c.sys.

4. Merged previously exported branches to Windows Server registry and after reboot all drivers found their respective devices, and touchpad works just fine.

camilasaunder89
Rising Star I

if your Touchpad driver is not working then the only solution that you can try is to update the Touchpad driver. Try one of the best driver updater tools i.e. Smart Driver Care. It helps to update outdated and corrupted drivers. It also allows you to restore your old drivers by taking a backup of them.

The problem was caused not by drivers but by the fact that Windows Server 2022 does not expect HID devices connected to I2C bus and  does not even try to install any driver for them.

That was solved by forcing Windows Server to have the HIDI2C driver and by copying registry entries related to it and to my particular device and its driver from Windows 11 to Windows Server.