cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding SSD storage to my Asus VivoBook 15

peterstone
Star II

I have an Asus VivoBook 15 (i7 / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD) Model: X513_EAN_F513EA

I want to add a second 1TB SSD to store my music. I was about to purchase one but saw some posts online that shed doubt that the second slot was usable. Can someone clarify this for me?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I installed a Crucial MX500 2.5" 1 TB SSD in the second hard drive slot (SATA) and it works fine. Just make sure it's compatible. One of the reasons I used Crucial was that their website said that that SSD was compatible for the SATA slot in my exact ASUS model. I chose the slightly more expensive MX500 because it had a much longer warranty. I didn't need to purchase a connector. The connector that was included in the laptop's accessories did the job.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Falcon_ASUS

@peterstone 
The M.2 SSD connector quantity of your laptop is one. 
If you want to install another storage device, you can consider installing a SATA hard disk.

The spec as follows: 
Support Max. HDD: 2TB
HDD SATA interface: SATAII/III
HDD Spec: 7mm

Thank you.

Thank you, Falcon. Can I install this as the additional storage? It's a ‎Crucial 1 TB SATA SSD (10 x 0.7 x 7 cm.). I haven't yet purchased it.

I found the box and it contains a motherboard connector. It appears that some of those who had problems may have lost this connector.

Crucial BX500 1TB 2.5" SSD, CT1000BX500SSD1, Black : Amazon.com.au: Computers

@peterstone 
Unfortunately, we have not tested this device, so we cannot guarantee its stability and compatibility with you.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

peterstone
Star II

Thanks Falcon. The Crucial site says it's compatible. I'm going to purchase it and will post back here on my success or failure and the whether the ASUS connector that came with my laptop does the job.