cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

laptop battery indicator blinking orange while gaming on charge

Atomicshadow
Star I

Laptop model :Asus TUF F17 fx707zc

Whenever I play a game on charge and the fans start in Turbo mode or performance mode (I also tested manual fan curve) if my battery is full it will go blinking to orange and then goes back white and after a few seconds it will repeat.(I use coolpad btw)

For a short period I installed Linux on my laptop and I played games on it and  It had the same issue BUT when I used a custom fan curve (it has no difference on Windows)I had no problem and I even managed to control the temperature and it didn't go up to 90 (it goes to almost 100 on Windows)

How can I fix this problem on Windows?

3 REPLIES 3

Jason3
Star II

The blinking orange light on your laptop while gaming on charge could be indicative of a power or battery-related issue. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem:

1. Check Power Settings:

• Ensure that your power settings are configured appropriately. In Windows, go to "Control Panel" > "Power Options" and check the settings for your power plan. Make sure it is not set to a power-saving mode that limits performance.
  2. Update Graphics Drivers:

• Ensure that your graphics drivers are up to date. Outdated or incompatible drivers can sometimes cause performance issues. Visit the official ASUS website or use the device manager to update your graphics drivers.
  3. Adjust Power Plan Settings:

• Within the "Power Options," you can customize your power plan settings. Adjust settings like "Processor power management" and "Maximum processor state" to ensure that your laptop is not limiting performance to conserve power.
  4. Cooling System:

• Overheating can trigger the laptop to limit performance. Make sure your cooling system (fans and vents) is clean and free from dust. You mentioned using a coolpad, which is good, but ensure that it is functioning correctly.
  5. Battery Health:

• Check the health of your laptop battery. You can use built-in tools in Windows or third-party applications to monitor battery health. If the battery is aging, it may not be providing sufficient power, especially during demanding tasks like gaming.
  6. BIOS Update:

• Check if there are any BIOS updates available for your laptop on the ASUS support website. Sometimes, manufacturers release updates that address power management and system stability.
  7. Disable Battery Charging:

• Some laptops have an option to disable battery charging when connected to AC power. Check your laptop's user manual or ASUS control software for such an option.
  8. Windows Power Troubleshooter:

• Run the built-in Windows Power Troubleshooter. This tool can automatically detect and fix problems with power settings.
  9. Check for Background Processes:

• Make sure there are no unnecessary background processes consuming system resources. Task Manager can help you identify resource-heavy applications.
  10. Contact ASUS Support:

• If the issue persists, it might be worth reaching out to ASUS support. They may be aware of specific issues related to your laptop model and could provide further assistance.

Given that you had a different experience on Linux, it's possible that there are specific driver or power management differences between the two operating systems. However, these steps should help you address potential issues on the Windows side.

Falcon_ASUS

@Atomicshadow
May I inquire about the BIOS version, system version (operating system build number), and the specific game being run on the laptop?
Is the occurrence of the issue 100% certain?
How long does it take for the problem to occur during gaming?
Is the charger being used the one provided by us?
Could you provide a video of the issue happening for us to further investigate? 
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Atomicshadow
Star I

The problem keeps happening in every game I've tried (yes it is 100% certain)
it usually happens  5 minutes after I run the game
and yes I use the original charger that comes with the laptop in the box

operating system build number : 22631.2715 (Windows 11 Pro 23H2)
and I don't know the BIOS version but I always update it with MyASUS app