This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance for BIOS update to allow disabling fTPM?

Hamstray
Rising Star I
System: Windows 10 64-bit
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zephyrus G15 GA503QS
Frequency of occurrence: Random
Reset OS: Too Many Times
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:Hello, since AMD have officially acknowledged the fTPM stutter issues that have been plaguing me since getting my laptop, would it be possible for ASUS to release a new version of my laptop's BIOS that allows me to disable fTPM until and if an actual fix arrives? I know AMD claims to have something in the works but it still requires waiting at least until May, and even then it might not even work in the end. In any case I'd like to be able to disable fTPM, I don't think it's right to force it on me.
Unfortunately the support in my country is a complete travesty (they still ignore the fTPM issue even though it's been in news media and AMD themselves said the issue exists, in fact before the issue got official recognition they went as far as trying to convince me that 1. my laptop doesn't have any TPM and 2. that AMD chipsets don't support TPM in general) so I can't get any assistance from them.
89 REPLIES 89

Hamstray
Rising Star I
@GEEK_ASUS, It's sadly pretty clear here that your supposed attempts at helping aren't being done in good faith. You keep trying to distract from the fact that the AMD fTPM issue is known to exist, you keep acting as if ASUS doesn't know it's an actual issue that exists.
You're trying to distract from this issue by going into specific people's situations, as if ASUS somehow wouldn't have to do anything to deal with the fTPM stutter if you remind us that say my issue isn't 100% for sure caused by it. It's simply ridiculous, especially since even if by freak chance my issue that manifests in exactly the way described by everyone else who's suffering from this wasn't caused by the fTPM stutter issue, it wouldn't change the fact that the issue exists and ASUS needs to deal with it, and let people disable the faulty fTPM.
Your engineering team's questions are clearly made to try and discredit my claim that my computer's troubles are caused by the fTPM issue, but your implication that I somehow need to figure out every possible fault a computer might have and test it out before I'm allowed to say the issue is caused by the fTPM is on its face ridiculous. If ASUS didn't have anything to hide then figuring this out would have been easy, I've already said so in previous posts.
If I was simply allowed to disable the fTPM I could easily test it. Disable fTPM, do stutters still happen? Clearly the fTPM isn't at fault here then. But ASUS won't let me do that. Very strange, it's almost like they've got something to hide. Or are very lazy. Perhaps both.
And after sending my laptop to the lab 3 times before the fTPM issue became known and them finding nothing, I see no point in sending it again since all of you are making it quite clear you aren't really going to consider the fTPM issue. Also from story accounts of others who've gone through your support I find it quite likely you'll take my laptop, then keep it hostage and make me pay for your service since your techs never find any issues in my laptop (well, they do, the reports even say they keep finding random issues and fixing them by reinstalling windows, but somehow a laptop having random issues show up constantly that require reinstalling the OS doesn't count as having a defect, probably because the issues they "solve" are ones they made up, rather than the ones I've been complaining about).
There's no reason to send the laptop in because you'll just put it through the same useless testing process you always use. It won't look at the fTPM as a possible cause of the stutter because your useless testing process doesn't account for issues in the fTPM, so it won't find anything, and they won't do anything as a result. A big ol' waste of time, which I guess is what you're trying to do, waste my time, that's the only thing you've been doing all this time.

asusgmaing
Star II
This is beyond stupid, first they claim they don't allow us to disable fTPM for 'security' reasons and then they ask us how we know it is fTPM that is causing the issue. Of course we cannot test if it is truly fTPM causing the issue if we aren't given the option to disable it. They've released fixes for this issue on their desktop motherboard lineup yet somehow their so called laptop 'engineers' are clueless and oblivious that this issue even exists. Repeatedly asking us to send to support center where they will mindlessly re-install windows to no avail and claim that there is no issue with the laptop.
We need to get this information to some tech news outlet to scare people off purchasing Asus laptops. Complete waste of money and time, definitely will not be considering Asus again.

Hamstray
Rising Star I
I'm trying to understand the logic here behind the way this situation has been handled. It's got me wondering... Is ASUS even still planning any update to these laptops' BIOS at all? Are these laptop models still being actively supported? Even ignoring the maliciousness of not allowing us to disable fTPM for no good reason, the facts are the fTPM issue exists and ASUS provably knows so since they have sent out BIOS updates with fixes for various motherboards.
And yet, when it comes to our laptops, they somehow don't even know about the issue? The one they're clearly actively working on with AMD? What other explanation is there other than trying to hide that they aren't planning to get such a fix out for our laptops? I'm just trying to warp my head around the very willful ignorance concerning the fTPM stutter issue that ASUS is displaying here. How many times has @GEEK_ASUS ignored links and references to AMD's acknowledgement of the issue in this thread?

Hamstray
Rising Star I
GEEK_ASUS

Hi @Hamstray ,

Because disable fTPM may have the risk of data security, we could not take disable fTPM as a short term solution.

Sorry for the inconvinience.

Also the engineering team would like to know further about the folloing:

1. is there any situation or when play any specific game can always have shutter issue?
  2. how do you eliminate other reasons and make sure the issue is related to fTPM?

Thank you very much.

If it's ok with you, we still suggest you go to service center to have further inspection.

View post
So hey, time to restate my question as per usual - are there in fact any plans to release a BIOS update for our laptop models in the near future? If so will they include any attempt at fixing the AMD fTPM stutter issue? Also how long should it take to be released?

andrei_mocanu
Star I
I've been having the stuttering issue on my FX505 for a few years now. Tried everything and just recently found out it's most likely the AMD TMP. Which I can't disable.
If ASUS will not allow us to do so , and soon , this is my last ASUS product I will ever buy.
Please introduce the option for FX505 laptops as well , thank you.