This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance for BIOS update to allow disabling fTPM?

Hamstray
Rising Star I
System: Windows 10 64-bit
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zephyrus G15 GA503QS
Frequency of occurrence: Random
Reset OS: Too Many Times
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:Hello, since AMD have officially acknowledged the fTPM stutter issues that have been plaguing me since getting my laptop, would it be possible for ASUS to release a new version of my laptop's BIOS that allows me to disable fTPM until and if an actual fix arrives? I know AMD claims to have something in the works but it still requires waiting at least until May, and even then it might not even work in the end. In any case I'd like to be able to disable fTPM, I don't think it's right to force it on me.
Unfortunately the support in my country is a complete travesty (they still ignore the fTPM issue even though it's been in news media and AMD themselves said the issue exists, in fact before the issue got official recognition they went as far as trying to convince me that 1. my laptop doesn't have any TPM and 2. that AMD chipsets don't support TPM in general) so I can't get any assistance from them.
89 REPLIES 89

zilinate
Star I
Nice to see you here Hamstray. I'm on your side. My laptop model is Strix scar 2021 G733QS R7+3080.
I have been waiting for so long since last year about stuttering problem (Random freezes\stutters on ASUS ROG Strix SCAR 17 G733) name of reddit topics since last year.
Try many solution to solve it but not work at all , at first I think that I got a defective product but after a while I heard that AMD announced that is a bug from FTPM and it will be fix on early may .
AMD also give an advise to disable FTPM before getting bios update that will be launch on May.I also know that on other laptop they have an option to disable FTPM (for ex. Lenovo Legion )but I don't know why on ASUS laptop there's no option for disable FTPM.
Now I saw that MB on PC already got beta bios update for AGESA 1.2.0.7 since early may but on the ASUS laptop still ain't. I hope that BIOS for laptop will release soon .

Hamstray
Rising Star I
GEEK_ASUS

Hi @Hamstray , @GreyWind ,

Please check your PM.

Thank you.

View post
So yet again almost a week passes with nothing to show for it. I guess it's easy to just take this 'wait and see' approach when it's not your computer suffering from microstutters for over a year now, huh?
I want answers
why are you acting like ASUS doesn't know what the issue is?
why doesn't ASUS want us to be able to disable fTPM?
why can't I get a refund?

GEEK_ASUS
Rising Star II
Hi @Hamstray ,
Because disable fTPM may have the risk of data security, we could not take disable fTPM as a short term solution.
Sorry for the inconvinience.

Also the engineering team would like to know further about the folloing:
is there any situation or when play any specific game can always have shutter issue?
how do you eliminate other reasons and make sure the issue is related to fTPM?
Thank you very much.

If it's ok with you, we still suggest you go to service center to have further inspection.

Hamstray
Rising Star I
You know very well that security concerns aren't a good reason, and in fact can't be the reason, after all you still have BIOS that do allow disabling fTPM. You know this since your first reply here was a guide on how to disable fTPM in your BIOS that do allow it.
Notice the lack of concern in that first reply to any security issues that might arise from disabling the fTPM.
As for your engineering team's questions, they are completely a waste of time as we both know that the AMD fTPM stutter issue is real, since They. Admit. To. It. You have AMD's supposed solution implemented in other BIOS that were recently updated. This is a real issue you know exists and you are wasting our time here for no good reason.

zilinate
Star I
@GEEK_ASUS
I don't know why laptop engineering team don't even know anything about this problem .😒
they just release bios update for this problem to PC .
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/up5bz5/asus_releases_2nd_wave_uefi_bios_support_agesa/
and this is the topic problem that AMD announced
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-/410
example of stuttering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHx3ksG0eqg
If you don't give us an option to disable ftpm, please release the bios update for laptop to solve this annoying problem