This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today i took some shots at night and i confirm. The result is a disaster now in Android 10

doublem101
Star III
I've been reading all the posts about the bad photo quality on Android 10 but honestly i didn't had the chance to test it in detail before.
However today, i had a spare time and it only took a couple minutes to see what everyone are talking about.
I already had taken some indoor photos and i noticed the high noise in darker areas but i went outside and i couldn't believe on what i was looking at. Slightly blured photos (like a shaken photo) and no detail at all, it looked like a watercolour painting. On some photos, darker areas were pinkish, something that i complained before in Pro mode on long exposures but never noticed it in any other mode.
However, i don't know if it's related or not but the few Gcam versions that works, aren't much better neither. Still a little better than stock app but really really worse than before. I'm not sure if they aren't already optimized or somehow related with the stock app bad quality. I don't know how Gcam works but what if the main issue isn't the stock APP itself but something behind it that makes Gcam works so bad also?
Sorry Asus, but i can't accept this quality from €500 device. One of the things that made me buy this phone was his night photo quality and now it takes worse photos than my old device?
I know you are looking at the problem already but i become frightened when i read that the differences you found aren't considerable. They are. If you didn't tested yet at night, outside, please do it. Theres were i found the major differences, not indoor.
I don't a have photo took in Android 9 under the same circunstances in this same places but please look at this photo. This isn't acceptable at all.
QUJHAN31QHLI.jpg

70 REPLIES 70

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II

doublem101

I've been reading all the posts about the bad photo quality on Android 10 but honestly i didn't had the chance to test it in detail before.

However today, i had a spare time and it only took a couple minutes to see what everyone are talking about.

I already had taken some indoor photos and i noticed the high noise in darker areas but i went outside and i couldn't believe on what i was looking at. Slightly blured photos (like a shaken photo) and no detail at all, it looked like a watercolour painting. On some photos, darker areas were pinkish, something that i complained before in Pro mode on long exposures but never noticed it in any other mode.

However, i don't know if it's related or not but the few Gcam versions that works, aren't much better neither. Still a little better than stock app but really really worse than before. I'm not sure if they aren't already optimized or somehow related with the stock app bad quality. I don't know how Gcam works but what if the main issue isn't the stock APP itself but something behind it that makes Gcam works so bad also?

Sorry Asus, but i can't accept this quality from €500 device. One of the things that made me buy this phone was his night photo quality and now it takes worse photos than my old device?

I know you are looking at the problem already but i become frightened when i read that the differences you found aren't considerable. They are. If you didn't tested yet at night, outside, please do it. Theres were i found the major differences, not indoor.

I don't a have photo took in Android 9 under the same circunstances in this same places but please look at this photo. This isn't acceptable at all.

QUJHAN31QHLI.jpg

Today i took some shots at night and i confirm. The result is a disaster now in Android 10
I assume this is taken with Night Mode? Or?
And every photo is like this with night mode (now I dont mean every photo of the same scene, just every photo in a variety of scenes) ? Or is it that some photos come out worse than expected?

doublem101
Star III
Hi @CH_ASUS
Yes the photo was taken with Night Mode on, handled.
I didn't take many photos but the ones i took gave me the same result. They seemed washed out with no details like they were submited to a really high compression.
But the funny thing i found later, it seems this issue isn't present in "tripod" mode. I think it isn't as good as before but cleary a lot better than handled mode.
Before the update, i think there were some differences between handled and tripod mode but most about the "clarity" of the photo. Now, how you can see, both seems like were taken with two different devices. The difference in details/textures is huge when zooming in. First was taken handled, second, tripod mode. In handled mode, every detail is gone and the photo is washed out.
WC66YQUBP7WN.jpg

9QEB5FZU8NYU.jpg

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
I suspect that the night mode shot - wasnt actually night mode.

Even in Night Mode, our camera will make a judgement on whether or not Night Mode (handheld) will produce a better shot - for example depending on how much hand-shaking, available light, too much light, and so on.

At times it will in Night mode even take "Auto". Producing a result you did not expect. You can generally notice this when the Night Mode takes "really fast" to complete. When it is on a tripod , and still, camera will know this, and show a tripod icon, and also open up Night Mode for longer exposures.

We've also feedback to our team that Night Mode might be too aggressive in "not using more frames" and that it may need some more tuning..

OPC
Zen Master II
Night mode on tripod gives good results. Night mode handheld I noticed shift in focus by simply touching the shutter icon. The result being bluriness and lack of detail. I don't use tripod but I always provide firm support and results are good. A reason for that can also be to some extent in high pixel count (48mp). It's much easier to miss focus due to vibration.