Did you mean: 

Zenfone 9 Speaker is not working in call

saaiful
Star II

Hello everyone,

1. Model Name: ZenFone 9
  2. Firmware Version: 3.0404.2060.113
  3. Rooted or not: Not
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Regular (This problem started a few weeks back. Despite being preoccupied with personal matters, I managed to conduct some investigations, but have yet to find a solution.)
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Phone/Dialler - 3.5.1.15_230306

I am experiencing a peculiar issue with my ZenFone 9, currently running on the Android 13 33.0404.2060.113 update.

The loudspeaker functionality does not seem to work correctly when I'm using either the default dialer app or Truecaller for phone calls. Strangely, when I'm playing music, using WhatsApp for calls, or even recording calls (where both parties are clearly audible in the recording), everything works just fine.

However, when I try to use the loudspeaker during a standard phone call, I'm unable to hear the other party's voice, which becomes quite inconvenient.

I've tested various apps and settings, but the problem persists solely during phone calls when using the loudspeaker mode. I've ensured that the issue is not tied to a single app, but it seems to be a problem within the system itself.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I've tried so far:

1. Restarting the phone.
  2. Clearing cache and data of the dialer apps.
  3. Checking for system and app updates.
  4. Testing with other apps like WhatsApp and music players.
  5. Using a call recorder to confirm both parties can be heard in calls.

Despite these efforts, the problem remains. If anyone has encountered a similar issue or if you have any suggestions on how to resolve it, your input would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder if there's a specific setting or a hidden feature that I might have overlooked? Or could this be a bug associated with the latest Android update on ZenFone  9?

Looking forward to your insights.

10 REPLIES 10

Mansi_ASUS

Hey @saaiful,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll forward the issue to the R&D, however, before I do that I'd recommend you perform an SMMI test to check if the speaker is working:

• Open the calculator app, type " .12345+= ", then SMMI Test Interface will pop up.
  • Select "single test" and then "Speaker test"

The speaker test was successful. As I stated before, the loudspeaker works without issue in Spotify and WhatsApp.

landsome
Rising Star II

Hey  @Mansi_ASUS,

@saaiful is clear about the fact that the problem only occurs during phone calls and the speaker works well the rest of the time. Please read closely what the people here are reporting.

That said, the problem has been reported before by others. I have a similar issue during phone calls - I have to switch between speaker and headphones / earpiece a few times before I can use the speaker. It takes a while (dozens of seconds) for the speaker to work properly, until which I can hear nothing.

saaiful
Star II

Just wanted to update you on my latest tests with calls. When I switched to loudspeaker mode during a call, there was absolutely no sound. Similarly, when I tried using the earpiece, I couldn't hear a thing either. However, when I connected my headphones, I could hear the sound perfectly fine. The strange part is that despite the absence of sound during the call, the recording managed to capture all the voices from all participants accurately.