Battery or AC: AC
Model: ROS Zephyrus S17 GX703HS (2021)
Frequency of occurrence: When an NVME SSD is installed outside a specific slot
Reset OS: Yes
Screenshot or video:
image.png
========================
Detailed description:
When running multiple NVME drives (or running just 1 or 2, but not in the correct slot), the drives only run at Gen3 speeds, as shown in the screenshot. Benchmarks also show the drives running slower than expected, both in RAID 0 and independently. Why is this?
8 REPLIES 8

bzhang
Star I

Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/217577#Comment_217577

@bzhang

Confirmed by the technical department, we use the same laptop as yours to connect three PCIE Gen4 SSDs. In RAID 0, using CrystalDiskMark to measure the read and write speed of SSD as follows: Read 7000 MB/s ; Write 6600MB/s. Can you install CrystalDiskMark to check if your read and write speed is slowing down? Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

View post
I have some previous and current tests, a single one of my drives at Gen4 speeds produces about 7000/6000 sequential R/W, but all three in RAID0 only produce 9800/6400 sequential R/W. Again, as mentioned initially, checking the actual link speeds (not the rated link speeds) in Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management shows that only 1 of the drives is actually connected at Gen4 speed, and the other 2 are connected at Gen3 speeds. This is the case both when the drives are treated as a RAID0 volume and the case when the drives are handled separately. The drives connected at Gen3 speeds perform worse, though I don't have any old screenshots of this behavior, and I also cannot test this now without wiping my system volume.
image.png
Figure 1: CrystalDiskMark of all 3 drives
img-4519.jpg
Figure 2: CrystalDiskMark of a single drive connected at Gen4 speeds.
screenshot-2022-07-12-172024.png
Figure 3: Reported properties for one of the drives, note that the link speed is that for PCI-E Gen4x4
screenshot-2022-07-12-172038.png
Figure 4: Reported properties for one of the other drives, note that the link speed is that for PCI-E Gen3x4
I'd recommend checking your system to see if your drives are actually connecting at Gen4x4 speeds.

Falcon_ASUS
bzhang

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/218405#Comment_218405

I have some previous and current tests, a single one of my drives at Gen4 speeds produces about 7000/6000 sequential R/W, but all three in RAID0 only produce 9800/6400 sequential R/W. Again, as mentioned initially, checking the actual link speeds (not the rated link speeds) in Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management shows that only 1 of the drives is actually connected at Gen4 speed, and the other 2 are connected at Gen3 speeds. This is the case both when the drives are treated as a RAID0 volume and the case when the drives are handled separately. The drives connected at Gen3 speeds perform worse, though I don't have any old screenshots of this behavior, and I also cannot test this now without wiping my system volume.

image.png

img-4519.jpg

Figure 3: Reported properties for one of the drives, note that the link speed is that for PCI-E Gen4x4

Figure 4: Reported properties for one of the other drives, note that the link speed is that for PCI-E Gen3x4

I'd recommend checking your system to see if your drives are actually connecting at Gen4x4 speeds.

View post
@bzhang
I have reported the information you provided to the technical department again. If there is any update, I will reply to you immediately. Thank you.

Falcon_ASUS
bzhang

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/218405#Comment_218405

image.png

img-4519.jpg

View post
@bzhang
I have sent you a message, please check.
Thank you.

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.