This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow memory controller frequency (Vivobook S 14X)

mukashi
Star I
System: Windows 11 Pro
Battery or AC: AC / Both
Model: Vivobook S 14X OLED (S5402ZA)
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: No
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:
The configuration I have is the 12GB RAM model with 8GB soldered + 4GB module. The problem I'm noticing is that the memory controller seems to be dynamically downclocking the memory clock and capping it at DDR4-2660 (1330Mhz) instead of running at the advertised DDR4-3200 (1600Mhz). Please see the screenshots of hwinfo and cpu-z, which shows the 4GB memory module is clocked at 1600Mhz, while the memory controller is clocked at 1330Mhz. I ran various workloads and the memory controller clock does fluctuate dynamically but it never goes above 1330Mhz; in other words, 1330Mhz is the highest I've see the memory controller clock ever reaching. I think this may be the cause of poor performance in some benchmarks/workloads compare to similarly equipped laptops.
Is this behavior normal? Does anyone know how to access memory settings in the BIOS or disable dynamic memory clock?
hwinfo1.png
cpu3.png
cpu4.png

4 REPLIES 4

Falcon_ASUS
mukashi
  1. System: Windows 11 Pro
  2. Battery or AC: AC / Both
  3. Model: Vivobook S 14X OLED (S5402ZA)
  4. Frequency of occurrence: Always
  5. Reset OS: No
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description:

The configuration I have is the 12GB RAM model with 8GB soldered + 4GB module. The problem I'm noticing is that the memory controller seems to be dynamically downclocking the memory clock and capping it at DDR4-2660 (1330Mhz) instead of running at the advertised DDR4-3200 (1600Mhz). Please see the screenshots of hwinfo and cpu-z, which shows the 4GB memory module is clocked at 1600Mhz, while the memory controller is clocked at 1330Mhz. I ran various workloads and the memory controller clock does fluctuate dynamically but it never goes above 1330Mhz; in other words, 1330Mhz is the highest I've see the memory controller clock ever reaching. I think this may be the cause of poor performance in some benchmarks/workloads compare to similarly equipped laptops.

Is this behavior normal? Does anyone know how to access memory settings in the BIOS or disable dynamic memory clock?

hwinfo1.png

cpu3.png

cpu4.png

@mukashi
I have sent you a message, please check.
Thank you.

Rachelgomez123
Star III
Steps are given below-

Depending on your motherboard, your BIOS will have settings with different names. So, you will need to navigate through the BIOS to search for the settings mentioned in the steps below.
Enable Memory Profiles
Enabling the memory profiles or overclocking profiles allows the user to select from a variety of memory speeds. Each profile uses different memory speeds and consumes different voltages. 
It also increases RAM’s speed more than the advertised amount without dealing with the hassle of manual overclocking.
AMD and Intel motherboards have different names for overclocking. For AMD motherboards, you can search for settings named DOCP (Direct Overclock Profile), whereas for Intel motherboards, it’s XMP (Extreme Memory Profile).
First, you need to make sure that your motherboard supports XMP. If your motherboard does not support Extreme Memory Profile, please follow the other mentioned process to change the RAM speed.
Now that you know your motherboard supports memory profiles, you will have to navigate to the BIOS to enable it. Here’re the steps:
To Enter the BIOS, press the Delete key or F2, depending on the motherboard manufacturer, during the system boot-up process. 
Once you enter the BIOS, you will need to find the XMP profile or DIMM profile settings. These settings are generally located in the memory management section of the BIOS.
There will be two or three XMP profiles depending on the XMP version. Enable XMP and select any one of the profiles to change RAM speed.
Change Memory Frequency Limiter
Some motherboard, by default, has a RAM frequency limiter. This means that the speed at which RAM and CPU transfers data is restricted, and the speed cannot go beyond this restriction point. 
Enter your motherboard’s BIOS and search for settings with a name such as RAM frequency Limiter or Memory Frequency Limiter. Set this value to the maximum to utilize all of your RAM potentials. 
Your motherboard may or may not have these settings. If it’s the latter, please follow another method to change RAM speed.
Change DRAM Speed
If you are turning on the PC for the first time, the motherboard will automatically set a lower DRAM frequency than the advertised speed. Unless we change the RAM speed from the BIOS, you will not get the bang for your bucks.
Here’re the steps to change the DRAM speed:
Navigate your BIOS and search for DRAM setting.
You will need to set your DRAM frequency to manual to adjust them. By default, DRAM frequency will be Auto. 
change DRAM speed
Once you perform the necessary changes, save the changes and exit the BIOS.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

Falcon_ASUS
mukashi
  1. System: Windows 11 Pro
  2. Battery or AC: AC / Both
  3. Model: Vivobook S 14X OLED (S5402ZA)
  4. Frequency of occurrence: Always
  5. Reset OS: No
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description:

hwinfo1.png

cpu3.png

cpu4.png

@mukashi
In our actual test, it will reach 1600 Mhz for a short time, and it cannot be maintained all the time.
Intel informs SAGV (required by Intel EVO), so the memory frequency will change, which is normal behavior.
Thank you.
SAGV Points - 002 - ID:655258 | 12th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors Datasheet, Volume 1 of 2

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.