This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Zenfone 9] What is this strange alert noise?

briancham1994
Star I

Starting on Tuesday 20 September, my Asus Zenfone 9 keeps making a mysterious alert sound that I have never heard before. Every time this happens, no notification appears in the tray, so I don't know what is causing it. The sound is very frequent and totally unpredictable.

I have already tried closing all apps, restarting the phone and adjusting the sound settings. Even when the volume is set to zero, the alert sound still plays through the speakers.

I have attached a recording of the alert sound playing twice.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Details:

• Model name: Asus Zenfone 9
  • Firmware version: Android 14, build WW_34.0304.2004.145
  • Rooted or not: No
  • Frequency of occurrence: Ranges from once every day to once every three seconds
  • APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): N/A
1 REPLY 1

darrin5698
Star I

1. Check Notification Settings for All Apps:

• Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications > See All Apps.
  • Check each app's notification settings to ensure there isn’t any app with custom or hidden notifications that might be causing the sound.

2. Disable Notification Reminders:

• Some Android phones have a feature called Notification Reminder that repeats notifications until acknowledged. Check if this is enabled:
    • Go to Settings > Accessibility > Notification Reminders (or similar depending on your phone).
    • Disable this option if it's on.

3. Check for System Alerts:

• Ensure there aren’t any specific system alerts such as battery notifications, Wi-Fi connectivity, or NFC notifications triggering the sound.
  • Go to Settings > Sound & Vibration > Advanced > Default Notification Sound and review the settings here.

4. Safe Mode:

• Try rebooting your phone in Safe Mode to see if the sound still occurs. Safe Mode temporarily disables third-party apps, which can help identify if an app is causing the issue.
    • To enter Safe Mode:
      1. Press and hold the power button.
      2. Touch and hold "Power off" until the "Reboot to Safe Mode" prompt appears.
      3. Tap OK.
  • If the sound stops in Safe Mode, it's likely caused by a third-party app.

5. Reset App Preferences:

• Sometimes, app settings can be altered accidentally, causing issues like this. Try resetting app preferences:
    • Go to Settings > Apps > Reset App Preferences.

6. Check for Recent Updates:

• Ensure that your phone's software and all apps are up-to-date. Sometimes, a bug in the firmware or an app can cause unexpected behavior.

7. Check System Logs:

• If you're comfortable with it, you can use an app like Logcat Reader to capture logs when the sound occurs. This can help identify the source of the alert by showing which process is running at the time.

8. Factory Reset (Last Resort):

• If none of the above works, consider doing a factory reset after backing up your data. This will reset the device to its original settings and may resolve any persistent software issues.

If the issue persists even after these steps, it might be worth contacting Asus support, especially since you mentioned that even lowering the volume doesn't stop the sound. There could be a deeper issue with the firmware. Official Login Link