This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go back to the Zenfone 9

samoa683
Star I

I went from Zenfone 9 to s23. No real complaints. I originally planned on getting the Zenfone 10 but given that it's not much of an upgrade, I wonder if I should go back the Z9. What major updates have there been in the last 6 months OTA wise? Has the camera gotten any better for example? Do people use gcam still? And if so, at what tradeoff?

8 REPLIES 8

AtathiosM
Star II

From the notebookcheck review, the zenfone 9 is as good and sometimes better than zenfone 10 for battery life and you should check if your s23 suffers from the banana blur problem on the primary camera before you decide.

landsome
Rising Star II

Hi again! I've just spent 2 weeks with an S23, the third time I have done this (I returned the previous 2 phones because of the camera's banana blur problem, and will retire this one as well).

The S23 is objectively the better phone (vs. Z9 or Z10), primarily due to the display's max. brightness, the cameras' flexibility (not a fan of the colors, though), and the length of guaranteed updates. If this matters to you, thickness too - the S23 is clearly slimmer. It may also matter than there is a much broader variety of high-quality accessories for it.

That said, the Zenfone has quite a few advantages: width (the 3mm are very, very tangible for those who prefer smaller phones); headphone jack, if it matters to you (esp. since the S23 lacks a DAC for the USB-C audio out and finding good adapters can be either a hassle or expensive); faster and more reliable fp reader (and not a bother with glass screen protectors); a much cleaner yet very customizable Android; and battery, which is tangibly better.

In terms of bugs, both have their share of minor issues, in my experience. The only one which annoys me is that the S23, while good/fast at updating brightness to brightER light conditions, constantly seems to forget my settings for darkER circumstances. The screen is always too bright in dark areas and somehow neither resetting, nor other fiddling seems to ever help. Eh...

I have to say that, disappointingly, Samsung has also been a bit unreliable with the latest rounds of updates (much like Asus). Europeans (minus the UK) missed one update (jumped from 05/23 to 07/23), and the latest one (08/23) was released in Asia and the US two weeks ago but not in our neck of the woods.  

Thanks for your feedback on S23. I have just one question, does Netflix works with Widevine L1 - HD image quality - on your S23? 

My Zenfone 9 unfortunatelly works only with SD quality and Asus is not resolving this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.