This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos completely disappearing in Zenfone 9?

AKL
Star II

Model Name: Zenfone 9

Firmware Version: WW_33.0804.2060.73

Rooted or not: no

Frequency of Occurrence: once

APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): camera, gallery

Hi, I've noticed today while using the default camera app that the latest picture from the gallery has disappeared. It's just gone. It doesn't show up in the camera app, Google photos or the default gallery. It's not in the deleted folder nor in the archived pictures, and I couldn't find it in the file manager either.

I then opened a version of GCam I have installed and saw it for a fraction of a second in the preview of taken photos in the lower right corner, so it was definitely there at some point.

I'm not sure if it's a bug but it just sounds too weird to be an accidental delete. It's a lot of accidental steps involved in completely erasing a photo like that.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Mansi_ASUS

Hey @AKL,

I'll be forwarding the issue to the R&D team. However, I need you to clarify some details.

1. While using the GCam, did the picture appear briefly and then disappeared?
2. Does this issue occur only while using the native Asus camera? Or does it happen while using other camera software as well?

Moreover, it'll be great if you could share a log file. As it will help the R&D to figure out the exact cause.

Please follow the below steps to enable the built-in log tool (Bug reporter).
1. Open “Calculator APP”
2. Enter “.19595+=”
3. Select the Log type according to the type of issue you want to capture. “General cases” will work for most issues.
4. After your selection the log tool will exit so you can duplicate the issue or wait for it to happen. Try to use the screen recorder to show your issue when possible. If you can't screen record your issue, then please take a screenshot right after the issue has occurred (as a timestamp) so we know where to look in the log.
5. Navigate back to the log tool via calculator and Tap "FINISH AND SHARE".
6. It takes several minutes for the log to generate. You can exit and do other stuff in the meantime. A silent notification will tell you once the process is done. Tap the notification and then the share button to upload the file to Google Drive and share the link with a moderator. Just make sure to change the permission first so that everyone with the link has permission to view it.
Note: When you're no longer planning on logging your device, enter “.09595+=” in the calculator and the log tool will stop as well as deleting all stored log files. Make sure to share via calculator. The files found in internal storage -> asus_log are not the correct files (they are only 1.2kb)

You can share the log file via PM.

Hi @Mansi_ASUS , thanks for you response.

Yes, the photo disappeared before I clicked on the gallery view in GCam so I only saw it in preview (the small round window in the corner) in camera view.

This has only happened once so I'm not sure whether it happens with all camera apps but I mostly use the stock camera for taking photos, including the picture that disappeared. I only used GCam to check if I could find the missing photo there.

I will try to log the issue according to your instructions, but again, I'm not sure when this issue might happen again so it might end up being a very large log file.

Hey @AKL,

Any luck with capturing the log file?

Hi @Mansi_ASUS 

Everything seems to be good for now. Haven't had the issue since.

Quite strange. But maybe something was changed in the recent system updates.