walterfindley
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 9
Firmware Version: 33.0804.2060.65
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Constant
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): all camera apps
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
The rear cameras (possibly only main, ultrawide seems less affected) seems to have a focus range of about 3 in to a few feet, anything longer ranged than that and it will become blurrier and blurrier. Front facing camera is not affected.

Attempted restarting phone and resetting camera app, no change. I updated from firmware 32.2040.2040.23 to 33.0804.2060.65 in an attempt to solve this issue, but it persists.
This is a constant across all apps that use the camera, making this extremely annoying- the oversharpening could be solved with gcam, but this is unusable. My old Zenfone 6 is a better platform at this point.
20 REPLIES 20

I started seeing it on Android 12, the upgrade to Android 13 did not fix it. Had to RMA to resolve it. RMA ticket says they replaced the camera module.

Mansi_ASUS

Hey everyone!
I heard back from the R&D, and as per their analysis, it seems like it's a hardware issue.
Please contact your nearest Asus customer service center and get your device examined.

Hi Mansi. Unfortunately I could not find the time to go phoneless for 3 weeks, as RMA is the only way to get it fixed. Some people reported the problem is back after they got it back! How can I proceed for a refund as no time for faffing around with faulty phones that cost premium price. Many thanks

Koujiro
Star I

me and my brother both got the asus zenfone 9 as well. 

he got the 16GB version i got the 8GB version.... both got replaced around february... and now the bug is back. not autofocusing again and also got a speaker problem now. everytime i try to switch to speaker during a call i can't hear any sounds anymore.... 

SsahinN
Star I

Hi everyone,

same thing happened to my Zenfone 9 16/256 (bought in November) - no autofocus on main camera (focus is stuck around 0.8m from lens).

Info from Asus Customer Service in Poland:

• factory reset first (sometimes help - rarely)
  • RMA procedure (should last around 3-5 days)

There's no other way to fix it... 
wish there would be any way to make a full phone backup (like Titanium backup) without a root 😐