This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenFone8 stuck on waiting for flashing full ramdump

mail_jackr
Star I
As requested by the mod - opening new discussion for the issue.
The Flashing Full Ramdump happened to me too - the phone was being charged over the night and the error was waiting when I woke up.
I hope that at least your service will fix it quickly.
776 REPLIES 776

xonics
Star II
Just thought I'd add that this has happened to my ZenFone8 this evening. Browsing the Internet, screen went black - as if it had powered off, then the 'Waiting for flashing full ramdump...'.

I'll admit that I've not finished reading this thread yet but it seems like some sort of software failure as there's a lot of recent posts reporting the same issue - a mass hardware failure would seem unlikely (my 2 cents anyway).

Just thought I'd add an update, found a similar issue happened with some Pixel phones recently, (https :// support . google . com/pixelphone/thread/113517096/pixel-3-xl-bricked-overnight-computer-recognizes-as-qusb-bulk-cid-likely-caused-by-security-update?hl=en) further suggesting this issue isn't limited to just Asus. I've also had a web chat with the US support, and although they weren't able to assist with fixing my phone they did say it wasn't an Asus specific issue but an Android one. I doubt it helps anyone though, but thought I'd share.

atoia68
Rising Star I
petrus73

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/187826#Comment_187826

per forza sono dei c.... cmq io rimborsato 100% in neanche 10 giorni. Arrivati due giorni fa i soldi sul conto corrente

View post
Ho seguito le tue istruzioni ma vogliono mandarmi telefono ancora in assistenza per riparazione !!! Dicono che sarà il centro assistenza che dovrà dire se riparare, sostituire o rimborsare

atoia68
Rising Star I
the phone when it updates the apps ... I watch videos .. I listen to music ... I use the navigator etc. etc. it overheats a lot !!!! fingerprint non-existent .... rustling during conversation and while I phone I find myself with pages for management modification never open .... all this after changing motherboard !!! They want to bring SMA back to assistance !!!! I am exhausted from this Asus purchase !!!! I will hire a lawyer at the cost of spending a lot of euros

HeLLKiTe
Rising Star I
xonics

Just thought I'd add that this has happened to my ZenFone8 this evening. Browsing the Internet, screen went black - as if it had powered off, then the 'Waiting for flashing full ramdump...'.

I'll admit that I've not finished reading this thread yet but it seems like some sort of software failure as there's a lot of recent posts reporting the same issue - a mass hardware failure would seem unlikely (my 2 cents anyway).

Just thought I'd add an update, found a similar issue happened with some Pixel phones recently, (https :// support . google . com/pixelphone/thread/113517096/pixel-3-xl-bricked-overnight-computer-recognizes-as-qusb-bulk-cid-likely-caused-by-security-update?hl=en) further suggesting this issue isn't limited to just Asus. I've also had a web chat with the US support, and although they weren't able to assist with fixing my phone they did say it wasn't an Asus specific issue but an Android one. I doubt it helps anyone though, but thought I'd share.

View post
Is it the same ramdump error though? Phones can brick for multiple reasons but for ZF8 it seems to be fairly consistent, If you look at the photos posted here by most of us it's the same.

xonics
Star II
HeLLKiTe

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/189576#Comment_189576

Is it the same ramdump error though? Phones can brick for multiple reasons but for ZF8 it seems to be fairly consistent, If you look at the photos posted here by most of us it's the same.

View post
Well that's the trick isn't it, nobody actually knows what's triggering the ramdump/bricking at the moment - there is just speculation.

The symptoms presented within the Google Support article are very similar to those experienced by the people posting here, and myself - I have not seen any mention of the "Waiting for flashing full ramdump..." on the article (although there are plenty of other links to explore) but for all we know the Pixel handsets just don't display this. What is interesting is that it appeared to be triggered by an OTA (which are usually staged and could be why groups of people are affected at seemingly the same time) and that connecting the phone to a computer confirms that the device is in the EDL state - which is what mine does. It also appears that this is a QualComm recovery mode the devices are entering - if we had access to the OEM image (not the firmware image available on the Asus download page) used by the QualComm recovery tools it's likely we could re-flash the devices out of their bricked state:
image.png

For the time being we all should be raising support cases with Asus and sending the phones back to them as requested. This gives them the opportunity to actually look at the devices and investigate, there is no magic wand for them to wave that will explain what has caused the issue, or to fix them - and with the current state of global shortages for everything right now we all to be a little bit more understanding that these things take time.
That's not to say that I'm not disappointed that my 3 month old phone is no longer working but I'm not ready to throw Asus under a bus yet, I have my support case open and will wait to see what happens.