This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 hotspot not working after Android 13 update

sevilla952
Star I

I installed the pushed update for Android 13 on my Zenfone 8, and after that my WiFi hotspot stopped working. The option is no longer under its typical location in Settings > Network & Internet, it must be searched for or accessed via shortcut. I have tried changing all Hotspot settings, factory reset the phone, and I even contacted my wireless provider to confirm service is active for my account. I have read that downgrading to Android 12 enables WiFi functionality again, but I'd like to know how ASUS will address the issue.

80 REPLIES 80

Atlantic289
Star I

I had the same issue as everyone else on this thread. After installing the OTA Android 13 update, I was no longer able to enable the hotspot feature on my ZenFone 8. As others have mentioned, the only way to get to enable the hotspot was through the hotspot link in the quick settings panel. The “Hotspot & tethering” option in “Network & internet” settings went missing after the A13 upgrade. I did all the standard troubleshooting (changing hotspot settings, reboots, cache clearing, permission verification, etc.) that have been already discussed, but still, the hotspot would not turn on. I don’t use the feature often, so I was debating whether or not to go through the hassle of wiping my phone (backing everything up first & having to set everything back up) & then downgrading to A12 or just waiting for an eventual patch.

However, it started working today!

Here’s what happened. Today, I changed mobile phone providers; I’m in the US - switched from a grandfathered AT&T Wireless 4G plan to a 5G T-Mobile MVNO. After setting everything up, I tested connectivity of the new service (making & receiving test calls & texts, testing data connectivity & speed) & I thought I’d just try enabling the hotspot on my phone (knowing darn well that the day before it wasn’t working & hadn’t been since I updated my ZF8 to A13). Low & behold, it f*n worked!

I can’t give a definite answer for what exactly fixed it, but it was a happy bonus (aside from saving about $80/month on my cell phone bill – use my referral link http://fbuy.me/upsgD, if interested)! I can share some of the changes in my phone’s operating environment. Maybe an iteration of one of these may help pinpoint the actual resolution.

• Ejected my SIM card - I did not try this in my initial troubleshooting & haven’t noticed in these threads if anyone has tried it either. I’m curious if just reseating the SIM card & rebooting the phone fixes the issue.

• Replaced the SIM card

• Manually created a new APN for the new carrier

You don’t have to delete your active APN, just try creating a new one with the same settings or ask/research your provider for the latest/optional settings. Access the APN menu & tap on the selected profile – note all the settings. You could create an new profile with the same info, just change the first Name filed to something else. Select the your new APN & then reboot the phone.

How to access the APN menu - Settings > Network & Internet > Internet > SIM 1 (or maybe 2, depending on your setup or which SIM you want to modify), tap the gear icon to access that SIM’s info > tap “Access Point Names”.

I hope some of this helps. 😉

I tried just adding a new APN and switching to it and it didn't work 😞

Darn!  I was hoping it was something easy or just overlooked.  I don't know if your provider charges for replacement SIM cards (I think most of the larger carriers in the US charge around $5, but some do not), but that could be something to try as well.  I went to an AT&T store a while ago & they just gave me a replacement at no cost.

Instead of a full reset/downgrade to A12, has anyone tried just resetting their network settings - Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth?  You'll have to reconnect to your wireless networks & re-pair any Bluetooth devices, but worth a shot before the full downgrade from A13 to A12.  Let us know your result if you try this.

Atlantic289, Thank you for confirming my theory. I noticed that the issue seems to happen only on AT&T, and I was going to try T-Mobile temporarily as an experiment. Thanks to you, I can skip this step in getting to the bottom of this.

Thank you again for your helpful information.

Toltek
Star III

I tried everything to get reliability with Zenfone 8 not having provisioning for AT&T networks. Yet the brother phone without flip camera is allowed. Go figure. Maybe they don't want such an amazing phone in competition market. 

T-Mobile did not work for me because the coverage was just terrible. IDK why. 

I settled on Consumer Cellular. Everything works great but you do have to get the VoLTE activated manually or you cannot make phone calls. This requires using a #*#* USSD code *#*#. Which is a bit annoying to have to run thru the network settings to enable this turn of 4G HD calling then turn it back  on. So I use Macdroid. I can share the automation if anyone was interested. 

But since this Android 13 I cannot get my hotspot working. I have not yet found a working solution. I am in IT and when there are power outages like today with a foot of snow on the ground, or when I am traveling, I NEED hotspot. I love this phone but the headaches with AT&T not putting it in the whitelist is really frustrating and monopolizing.