This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 hotspot not working after Android 13 update

sevilla952
Star I

I installed the pushed update for Android 13 on my Zenfone 8, and after that my WiFi hotspot stopped working. The option is no longer under its typical location in Settings > Network & Internet, it must be searched for or accessed via shortcut. I have tried changing all Hotspot settings, factory reset the phone, and I even contacted my wireless provider to confirm service is active for my account. I have read that downgrading to Android 12 enables WiFi functionality again, but I'd like to know how ASUS will address the issue.

80 REPLIES 80

Hi @abatobato 

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please check the top right corner and kindly share the serial number and details requested in the PM inbox.

Thank you!

They didn't charge me to send it in and have them look at it, but mine was also still under warranty when I sent it in, so that might make a difference.

But even now, if you go through the online customer support process and collaborate with them to provide log files and other information on the problem (like I did), you will get information on a repair timeline (like I did). I won't go into detail, as e-mails between them and the users are confidential, but suffice it to say that if you stick around for another month or so, the situation might just improve. They've always been supportive when I've contacted them, and followed up on all my communications and provided information on their discoveries about the problem every 24-48 hours until they determined what was necessary to repair it.

If you opt to stop using Asus, that's your choice, but after all those Samsung phones blew up a few years ago, people that continued to use that brand are now using Samsungs without any problems. With all new technology comes a set of risks, so take your pick.

Cheers, and good luck!

Mike - I appreciate your anecdote, but it does not match my experience nor the information provided to the people on this thread or generally online. I was given no assistance other than the aforementioned "spend $85 and give us your phone for two weeks and we'll take a look". I offered to provide logs or other data, they weren't interested. The only follow-up I've gotten is the moderator here private messaging me to say I should pay to send my phone in.

And when people had their Samsung phones blow up, they got refunds.

I probably will stick around for "a month or so" - though why this key detail that everyone here is looking for is "confidential information" for your eyes only is beyond me - because I spent a lot of money on this phone, and I like this phone, and even if I have to avoid working while on the go for a bit I'm hoping that ASUS may yet fix things to the point I'd personally be willing to take the risk on another device from them, at least someday. But my parents, for instance, live in a rural area where the phone hotspot is the best form of home internet. They couldn't afford to just wait a few months and lack the tech savvy to roll back to Android 12 (even I managed to lose important data while doing so). They would be screwed. So until ASUS shows that it can deal with a mistake like a legitimate smartphone maker - acknowledge the problem, pull or at least stop forcing the update, provide workarounds, then a fix or at least a token "We're sorry and this isn't how we usually operate" discount on a new device to those seriously affected - there is not a chance in heck I will be letting them buy an ASUS phone.

Hi @n_2 ,

We've already send you a messege,

in order for us to assist you better, may we kindly ask you to check the PM box at the top right corner?

Thank you.

n_2:

The difference between your experience and mine might be a combination of which representative you happened to get and whether it was still within the warranty period. Just a guess. Either way, their customer service has never left me hanging or required me to pay anything extra.

And I don't think they meant specifically that the update information was confidential, but just that all communication directly between them and any user is confidential. But since that information was included in one of those "confidential" e-mails, I didn't want to risk getting banned or something on some technicality.

No one can blame you for your position, but I just wanted you to know that things will get better in time if it goes as they seem to have it planned.

Good luck, and cheers!