This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 hotspot not working after Android 13 update

sevilla952
Star I

I installed the pushed update for Android 13 on my Zenfone 8, and after that my WiFi hotspot stopped working. The option is no longer under its typical location in Settings > Network & Internet, it must be searched for or accessed via shortcut. I have tried changing all Hotspot settings, factory reset the phone, and I even contacted my wireless provider to confirm service is active for my account. I have read that downgrading to Android 12 enables WiFi functionality again, but I'd like to know how ASUS will address the issue.

80 REPLIES 80

It is useless to lose your head, it is not a matter of mobile operator, but it is Android 13 that is full of bugs and even Google's Pixel phones have problems. The only solution is to downgrade to Android 12 and everything works perfectly.

Thank you @Menhir65 guess I better take that plunge. Ugh. I signed up for the beta so I've already done this a few times because it was set to auto update even after I restored.

maskabone
Star I

I recommend you avoid Asus. No matter how good their phones look on paper, they are miles away from other companies.

It's been almost a month since my Asus Zenfone 8 got updated to Android 13. With that, the WiFi connectivity and HotSpot are no longer working. Any hint from their support team on possible resolution of this problem is still yet to be shown. You can look it up on forums, my case is not the only one.

You can't turn off the auto-update, so even if you downgrade to Android 12, you're still going to get this broken software installed.

Considering this is the last major update it might not get resolved.

The Zenfone 8 is the first Asus phone I've head (or any Asus product for that matter) and overall I'm happy with it. The only problem I've had with it I'd have to say is once in a while the "recent apps" button becoming unresponsive. Even though it's the only problem I've experienced, and it doesn't happen too often, it's still very annoying.

As far as downgrading to A12 and it automatically upgrading to A13, there's a way to avoid that, and that's what I did since A13 is useless without a hotspot, something I and many people use often. And frankly, I probably like A12 more, looks and works great. Here is how you can avoid an automatic update, and even get rid of the update icon in your System menu:

To disable System Update notifications or exclamation marks in the settings menu or an accidental update back to A13, disable System Update. Here are the commands for disabling and enabling System Update. Once you disable, you can't see it under System in Settings. But it's reversible, you can enable it with the enable command:

FOR DISABLING:

Windows Command Prompt:  adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.asus.dm

Windows PowerShell:  .\adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.asus.dm

FOR RE-ENABLING:

Windows Command Prompt:  adb shell pm enable com.asus.dm

Windows PowerShell:  .\adb shell pm enable com.asus.dm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE:  com.asus.dm is the package name for System Update

To use these commands, use the Command or Shell lines while in your ADB platform-tools folder and make sure phone is connected to computer with USB cable and USB debugging is on so that device can be recognized.

that is super helpful @ustaarthur thank you. I have used Asus laptops tablets Phones and Wifi (and mobo once) for about 10 years now. Love their products. 

I think this phone has been a lot better since Android 13 upgrade so I am a little reluctant to restore to 12. The only hindrance for me has been the Tethering not working. I feel like with enough research maybe a ADB shell command could fix it? Maybe not and I will have to restore 12. If so I know now how to disable auto-update